Polish Folk Tunes

Hi everyone

I am looking for some Polish Folk tunes to play on my English concertina. I need the sheet music with the melody line and preferably a cd of the tunes as I can read the dots on sheet music (very slowly) but I am not very good at the pacing etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Cheers :)

Hi everyone

I am looking for some Polish Folk tunes to play on my English concertina. I need the sheet music with the melody line and preferably a cd of the tunes as I can read the dots on sheet music (very slowly) but I am not very good at the pacing etc. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Cheers :)

The idea to ponder is to find accordion arrangements for either piano accordion or button accordion, and play the treble part.

here,

here,

here,

Also, look here and see if there are tunes played, that are notated in either of the books.

Well, you get the idea.

I'd also try polish ebay

Ty moviesh po-Polsku? (kind of)

I wouldn't buy music on spec; you'll end up (like lots of musicians) with tons that cost lots of money and you don't use for one reason or another. If you are happy with just a melody line there is huge amounts on the net free; you can print it when you see something you want to try; if you then can't get on with it nothing much is lost.

I couldn't see a specifically Polish site on a very quick look; (Austrian, Czech, Russian etc yes though) you may have to find out some specific tunes to hunt for. Have you looked in the Tuneotron, for instance?

I wouldn't buy music on spec; you'll end up (like lots of musicians) with tons that cost lots of money and you don't use for one reason or another.

I disagree.

What do you call "lots of money"? Is $15 lots of money? Internet is full of sh..t, you download tons of stuff and it's junk. With the book you at least have some 50/50 chance of it been written and arranged by a professional.

I think if you get a book for, say, $20 and use one piece in it, fully arranged and playable, that's a good score.

There are single piece sheets for sale on ebay, each at some $10-30, and I wouldn't rule them out as well.

From my experience, way better than some single line "tunes", put on the Web by strangers.

In case it absolutely has to be played, one can rescribe them into Finale Notepad or similar and play.

It doesn't take much time to learn.

But the best is, of course, to find a book with 100 pieces, each been a gem, with a CD.

• 1 month later...
I am looking for some Polish Folk tunes to play

There are different styles. there is music form the North West (not meaning about Pommern, which has a more German oriented culture), then you have the music of the hilly south and the music of the Carpates (and there maybe more regions). I would say that most of them smell diatonically in some way, some are close to hungarian music. The chords of some pieces I know may jump to much to be played on an anglo, but I would say they need chords with the melody.

To my idea, the best way to find sources is to try and find polish people/musicians in your neighbourhood that play polish traditional music. In fact it is via the polish people that I got to know polish music.