Self Playing Chords! (aka, Stuck Buttons)

I recently got my very first concertina, a tenor Stagi EC from the Button Box. I love the beast, it's fun to play and is all in tune, etc...you know the drill.

However, I have noticed that two of the buttons seem to be a bit overly fond of each other, and get stuck. The notes are the G above middle C and the B just over to the side of it 9both on the left-hand side). They tend to get stuck when I press them at the same time. They do not stick by themselves, they have to both be pressed. It seems to happen the most when I press the B down a little before, and then the G won't go down all the way easily. If I push it a little bit harder it goes down and they both get stuck, strange.

I would appreciate the instruments attempts to educate me on chords and make it easier for me to adapt to an instrument capable of them, but even I am unable to anthropomorphize inanimate objects that much, so I'd like some advise on how to get the lovely little thing to stop sticking. I am aware of it now, so it doesn't happen as much because I treat those buttons with extra caution, but it is still annoying. Is there anything I can do? Help!!

P.S. I really don't know much about how the concertina works, as I have said, I'm a total neophyte. I would like to learn more about its "guts" but at the moment the thought of taking it apart and actually doing something to it strikes fear into my very soul. I'd like to get more competent and comfortable before I do anything drastic. :unsure:

I think I would call the button box to start with.

Alan

I agree, call the Button Box. They will take care of anything they sold you. Their service has been great.

Good luck.

Very annoying. I'd guess it's because the 2 pads for the notes are snagging each other, giving one or both of the levers a gentle realigning (ie bending) to the side to separate them slightly will probably sort it and taking the end off may make all clear; but I understand why everyone says 'send it back'; that's undoubtedly the safe course.

On the other hand I can also understand why you don't want to fiddle about packing and posting (and paying for) it back to the button box as well as being without your new favourite toy for a week or more. Concertinas are fairly simple mechanisms. I'd ring the button box and have a chat, and with a bit of luck one of the pro restorers will come up with more specific advice than I can.

I'm glad you're still enthusiastic now you actually have your concertina; that's great.

Very annoying. I'd guess it's because the 2 pads for the notes are snagging each other, giving one or both of the levers a gentle realigning (ie bending) to the side to separate them slightly will probably sort it and taking the end off may make all clear; but I understand why everyone says 'send it back'; that's undoubtedly the safe course.

On the other hand I can also understand why you don't want to fiddle about packing and posting (and paying for) it back to the button box as well as being without your new favourite toy for a week or more. Concertinas are fairly simple mechanisms. I'd ring the button box and have a chat, and with a bit of luck one of the pro restorers will come up with more specific advice than I can.

I'm glad you're still enthusiastic now you actually have your concertina; that's great.

Yeah, I'll call the Button Box when as soon as I get a chance. They were very kind when I ordered it.

Being with out my new "favourite toy" certainly would be a bummer-- I'm having a great time playing with it. It's quite charming. :) Besides, I want to show it to all my musical friends next weekend when I see them at a historical event.