Asymmetrical Fingerpositions On Ec For Itm

buikligger

Hi Tina-friends,

for about 9 months i am learning from scratch the Irish Traditional Music repertoire on my English Concertina. I only use the 2 upper octaves of my treble Wheatstone-Lachenal model. From the beginning I've been using my 4 fingers. I don't use the little fingers rests. I use the thumb straps and wrist straps connected to the upper side (cfr. m3838 's drawings).

So far i used one finger for the corresponding row:

Right Index Finger for the ^f; Right middle finger for E, B, (f, not often used) and c'; right Ring finger for C, G, d, a; right little finger (very occasionally ^C)

Left Index finger: no use; Left middle finger D, A, e, b; Left Ring finger F (not very often) c, g; Left Little finger ^F, ^c

So you see i only use 9+9= 18 buttons and fingering has a symmetrical pattern left and right.

The pain I have in the left thumb could be caused by having to reach out too far with my left Little finger. So i was wondering if i could solve that problem by changing the fingering position of the left hand, by moving it down by one row. So i won't use the upper left row, use the index finger for the second row (D, A..), the ring finger for the third row (F, c, ..) and the ring finger for the accidentals ^F and ^c.

This means I'll have to change my left hand fingering. And that i have an asymmetrical hand positioning.

Does it make sense to try and change after a learning period of 9 months? Is my brain so flexible it can make the change?

I gave it a first try by going the C-scale up and down. It could work, i think.

any thoughts or experiences on this problem welcome

Thanks,

Dirk De Bleser, Belgium