Wanted 48 Button English Concertina

panopticon

I am a beginner who would like to go the whole hog and buy a 48 button English concertina. I am looking for something in the (almost) affordable range. Anything that is slightly better than the boxes made in China selling on ebay would be fine.

I am looking for new or second hand, so if anybody knows of an online shop that could sell me one please let me know.

I am located in Brisbane, Australia.

I am a beginner who would like to go the whole hog and buy a 48 button English concertina. I am looking for something in the (almost) affordable range. Anything that is slightly better than the boxes made in China selling on ebay would be fine.

I am looking for new or second hand, so if anybody knows of an online shop that could sell me one please let me know.

There is a 56 button Stagi on eBay that I've been watching (Item #260209865200). Of course The Button Box, and a few other reputable dealers could sell you one as well. Look for the banner ads on concertina.net up at the top. :)

Edited by Dieppe

I have a 48-button Gremlin I'd be willing to sell. I've had it a couple of years, but don't play much anymore. I've gravitated towards the Anglo and Hayden Duet, which I play daily. It's in VG condition and would come with a wooden (lockable w/key) case. It's seen so little use that the bellows are still a bit stiff. I'm a collecter and restorer of concertinas. I think I have 4-6 other Englishes, mostly Lachenals. I wouldn't advise the higher end concertinas until you're sure you'll stick with it, too much invested. Please check out "namfrank", on eBay, for my transaction history. I'm asking $250US and would prefer using ETrade. ETrade is a free service that converts your currency and mails it to the recipient in the form of a bank draft. Please contact me and I'll provide you with pics. KerryF :rolleyes:

Do contact Chris Algar at Barleycorn concertinas... barleycorn@concertina.co.uk. He is an expert on English concertinas and has many passing through his hands at the lower end of the market. He is an honest man with a very good reputation and he will advise you fairly. A reconditioned lower end 'vintage' concertina from Chris will give you a much better start on the instrument than buying a Stagi, Jackie, etc and it will hold its value.

Tell him how much you can afford (and how big your hands are) and he will serve you well. He also has lots of expereiece in shipping to Australia!

Enjoy your new toy, which will soon become the love of your life, take over your spare time and begin to eclipse your other hobbies!

And we always seem to be plugging speciallist Malcolm Clapp who is actually in Australia, has an excellent reputation and is a forum regular; contact him by looking in the members list. He has instruments for sale.

I'd second the advice to go for the vintage instrument; they are fairly infinitely repairable and, as David S says, hold their value. I've no personal experience but I get the impression that even the most basic plays better than a modern instrument.

Hi Dirge

Thank you for the Malcolm Clapp tip. Now I know he is closer to Brisbane this helps considerably! I will give him a ring. And David, thanks for the info about Chris Algar of whom I have heard many good things as well.

Gradually getting there and this forum is so helpful! I'm looking forward to becoming a thoroughly addicted player. :)

Hello,

I saw your ad and I may be able to help. I do have a 48-button Stagi English concertina which I was just about to list on EBAY for $250. I paid over $700 for it about 8 years ago and it has been great at getting me to an intermediate level of playing. 2 years ago I bought a new, much more expensive model, which is the one I play currently and it's for that reason that I am selling the Stagi. All buttons are working ( in both directions - in and out ). I had a problem with one button which was sticking but since I've had that fixed it seems to be working just fine.

If you're interested, I could email you some photo's of the concertina. I live in Cincinnati, OH, USA.

Reagrds,

David Jones

Thank you everybody for all your help and kind offers. I have now found an instrument (thanks Kerry!) and will be waiting for it to arrive in the mail.

After toying with the idea of vintage instruments I regretfully found that my budget just didn't stretch that far. My dentist unfortunately has seen to that : ) I am really excited by the idea of learning how to play at last!