January Tune Of The Month

I enjoyed some wild drunken ceilidh dancing last summer at Broadstairs Folk Week in Kent. Well... really it was just a few of the other dancers who were smashed. I had fun dancing and the music was great. Inventive tunes, slick arrangements and punchy rhythms from The Climax Ceilidh Band and Florida. Both bands were top notch.

I love the slow hop skip move, such a great groove to dance to and it’s so unlike any US dancing. So, inspired by that groove I wrote something... based on a bagpipes D drone. Go figure.

Check it out here at the top of the list.

Edited by Jody Kruskal

So...? I am surprised that his topic hasn’t elicited any response. Perhaps I buried the interesting part behind too many links and digressions. Let me make it easy for you.

Go here. Click on the drone and play it on your speakers. Pick up the concertina and play along in D. Could be a tune or just make it up.

For me, remarkable music happens that I would not expect. It comes out different every time, but always with a harmonic richness that I find pleasantly shocking, given that the drone is such a simple addition to my playing.

Does anyone else have this experience?