Novice Seeks Concertina (new Or Used)

EB07

Hi all,

I am interested in learning to play the concertina and am looking for a concertina in the key of D/G. I already play a few instruments and play a lot of Irish traditional music most often in the key of D. As i am only starting out, I would like to purchase a 'beginnners' concertina which will not cost me a whole lot. New or Used are accepted!

Look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks! :)

Hi all,

I am interested in learning to play the concertina and am looking for a concertina in the key of D/G. I already play a few instruments and play a lot of Irish traditional music most often in the key of D. As i am only starting out, I would like to purchase a 'beginnners' concertina which will not cost me a whole lot. New or Used are accepted!

Welcome aboard Concertina.net

To be able to answer your question could you let us know which country you're in and a rough idea of how much you were thinking of paying? The rough ranges are beginners instruments costing a few hundred UK Pounds ( £1 = $2 US), mid-range instruments costing around £900-£1500, and then more expensive instruments peaking at around £4000-£5000.

Presumably from your question you're looking for an Anglo concertina - others on this site will know better than me, but I believe that the majority of Anglo players that play Irish Traditional music use an instrument in the keys of C/G even for tunes in the key of D. I believe that you will also find that the majority of Anglo Concertina instruction materials and courses for Irish Music assume that you are playing a C/G box.

Welcome to a lifelong addiction :o

- W

Hi,

Thanks for your reply 'Woody'! I am from Ireland and since I am only starting out I would only be willing to pay in the range of a few hundred UK pounds (Euro).

Correct me if I am wrong here: I play the button accordion (a little) and it is in the Key of D. Therefore would a concertina in the Key of D/G be more appropriate to me as I would be 'pushing in' and 'out' the same as a D accordion? I play a lot of traditional Irish music so I think I would find it confusing if I were to get a C/G concertina whereby I would be 'pushing in and out' the opposite way to a D accordion. Am I right in saying this?

Looking forward to hearing anymore advice! :rolleyes:

Kind regards,

EB

Hi all,

Welcome aboard Concertina.net

To be able to answer your question could you let us know which country you're in and a rough idea of how much you were thinking of paying? The rough ranges are beginners instruments costing a few hundred UK Pounds ( £1 = $2 US), mid-range instruments costing around £900-£1500, and then more expensive instruments peaking at around £4000-£5000.

Presumably from your question you're looking for an Anglo concertina - others on this site will know better than me, but I believe that the majority of Anglo players that play Irish Traditional music use an instrument in the keys of C/G even for tunes in the key of D. I believe that you will also find that the majority of Anglo Concertina instruction materials and courses for Irish Music assume that you are playing a C/G box.

Welcome to a lifelong addiction :o

- W

Correct me if I am wrong here: I play the button accordion (a little) and it is in the Key of D. Therefore would a concertina in the Key of D/G be more appropriate to me as I would be 'pushing in' and 'out' the same as a D accordion? I play a lot of traditional Irish music so I think I would find it confusing if I were to get a C/G concertina whereby I would be 'pushing in and out' the opposite way to a D accordion. Am I right in saying this?

Well, let's see. A G/D anglo is not the same as a two row D/G melodeon. On the melodeon the D row is the lower key in pitch and is a fourth below the G row. The anglo has G as the lower row, and it is a fifth below the D row. In practice this means that any cross fingering between the two rows is completely different on the two systems.

If, however, your melodeon is only a single row, then it will largely be the same as the D row of a G/D anglo.

Woody is correct that most players of Irish music on the anglo appear to favour the C/G; however historically there have been a number of players of Irish music on the G/D anglo and I have certainly heard good Irish music played on the G/D (just as I have heard some magnificent Irish music played on the English concertina, but that's another story). Myself, I play the G/D and think G and D the perfect keys for the anglo - but then I play English music together with a smattering of French and Swedish tunes, so what do I know? :)

Chris

Edited by Chris Timson

Hi,

Thanks for your reply 'Woody'! I am from Ireland and since I am only starting out I would only be willing to pay in the range of a few hundred UK pounds (Euro).

Excluding the key issue I think the current consensus is that a C/G Rochelle Anglo from Concertina Connection would be the way to go, though unfortunately they are only made in C/G. You can get them from All About Accordions in Dublin - I don't know the price - or they are available direct from Concertina Connection for 265 Euros including shipping, basic gigbag and beginners guide. These are great beginners instruments.

If you decide to go down the G/D route, there's a Stagi G/D around for about £450 in the UK.

I'll pass on this question :blink:

I am from Ireland and since I am only starting out I would only be willing to pay in the range of a few hundred UK pounds (Euro).

Excluding the key issue I think the current consensus is that a C/G Rochelle Anglo from Concertina Connection would be the way to go...

I'm in Dublin and, if you decide to go for the Rochelle, I have one that I bought a few months ago, which you can have for for the same price that I paid for it, i.e. 265 Euro, including Gig Bag and Tutor. It has barely been used and you are welcome to try it out before you buy. It's a Rochelle 30 key accordion-reeded anglo concertina in C/G.

As regards the G/D vs. C/G discussion, my impression is that the G/D is more popular with people who play English music and the C/G is more popular with people who play Irish music. This may have something to do with the fact, and I know I will be corrected very quickly here if it is not a firm fact, that the G row on a G/D is an octave lower than the G row on a C/G.

This may have something to do with the fact, and I know I will be corrected very quickly here if it is not a firm fact, that the G row on a G/D is an octave lower than the G row on a C/G.

I also stand to be corrected, but I think it's because the G/D anglo is largely a modern innovation. Thus it was simply not an option available to the players of the 19th century.

Chris