Comparative Hybrid Robustness

Hello All,

A question for anyone familiar with hybrid-style Anglos (Tedrow, Edgely, Morse, Herrington ... others?). I'm wondering about the comparative robustness of the various makes--that is, which is most likely to withstand somewhat rough handling from a player (thinking here not so much about dropping it on the floor as about vigorous, loud, chordal playing).

The hybrid I currently own has served me very well, but over the year I've played it, it has developed several issues that have required frequent disassembly--stuck buttons, leaky pads/bellows, a cracked reed. This may simply be my lot as an overly-vigorous squeezer, but I was curious if anyone had opinions on this count, as I'm considering the purchase of a second instrument sometime in the near future.

Thank you!

Steve Arntson

My Morse is one of the first (serial number 036), sold originally in October 2001. It has gotten a lot of use. A few minor repairs (all done cheerfully under warranty), but it has worn very well and shows no signs of slowing down. The Edgleys and Tedrows I know of boast a similar record and are likewise backed by their makers. I can't speak for other makes from direct experience, but others here can.

Ken

A question for anyone familiar with hybrid-style Anglos (Tedrow, Edgely, Morse, Herrington ... others?). I'm wondering about the comparative robustness of the various makes--that is, which is most likely to withstand somewhat rough handling from a player (thinking here not so much about dropping it on the floor as about vigorous, loud, chordal playing).

My Herrington survived 6 or 7 years of Morris playing in bad weather, rough usage at contra dances, a few solid kicks and one good whomp with a stick without ever requiring any service.

My Morse G/D looks more fragile, but it has performed flawlessly for almost 3 years under similar conditions; I've never even looked inside, and it's never made a return trip to Sunderland for service. But I've learned to dodge sticks a little better.