Learning Irish Tunes, Help!

seanc

whether you want to make the tune play sharper or flatter than your recording- in case the tune is in C and you're playing in D, or your (or his) tuning is off. The Amazing Slow Downer slows a tune down without changing pitch. You can hear every little bit of the tune.

Hi all,

I'm using the Amazing Slow Downer for the first two tunes of mary Mc Namara's Trad music from east clare cd.

But i have the impression she plays in a lower pitch then i do. I only play in the 2 highest octaves of my EC.

Should i sharpen her version . And with how many semitones?

thanks for any help you give

Dirk De Bleser

Ornamentation is something I struggle with too. I often listen to recordings of the song and get so I can play along, and then start adding things I think sound good. Sometimes I'll take a bit from one recording and something else from another.

A bit about ornamentation symbols in music, if you already know this, feel free to ignore me here...

The "squiggle" mentioned previously is a trill mark. Similar is the "turn" mark, that looks raher like a figure 8 on its side. You've already gone over the fermata, so I won't cover it here. Then of course there are grace notes, little bitty notes that don't have any written value in the measure but are thee just the same.

I'm sometimes amazed that I can read music, but I've had it drilled into me since I was eight....

Hi

If you can find it -'The Dance Music of Willie Clancy' by Pat Mitchell-published by The Mercier Press: Dublin and Cork ISBN 0 85342 465 9 gives 152 tunes with ornamentation marked and explained.

good luck

chris

Guest Peter Laban
Hi

If you can find it -'The Dance Music of Willie Clancy' by Pat Mitchell-published by The Mercier Press: Dublin and Cork ISBN 0 85342 465 9 gives 152 tunes with ornamentation marked and explained.

good luck

chris

Which is very useful to a piper but doesn't carry over to the concertina very well.

You really need to listen to and find out the ornamentation specific to your instrument, a roll or crann on the concertina is quite different from same on pipes.