Bye Bye Dear Melodeon

Ceilidh Jock

I am just new to this group. I have been playig melodeon for quite a few years and can get a decent tune out of it. I play in a ceilidh band where I live in The Netherlands and nowadays I call dances and play a bit of rythm on bodhran. But do enjoy playing along on slow airs with the fiddles and whistle.

Since a couple of years my arthritis has been progressing and this year alone I have had to have 4 cortison shots in my shoulders and my rheumatologist told me it would be unrealistic to expect it to get any better.

Now the reason for my post is not to complain :rolleyes: Playing melodeon is just too sore on me and I have had a "go" on an Anglo concertina and I found it didnt have the same effect on me as the melodeon does. So my lovely Serenellini Selli in A/D is up for sale and I intend buying an Anglo Concertina. I already had some lessons on English Concertina and for some reason I found it hard on the joints as well. The Anglo just feels more comfortable and my knowledge of diatonic music probably makes that it has a better edge for me.

Anyway now that I have explained what my problem and decision is, I have a question.The dealer that sold me the melodeon ( its still in excellent shape) is prepared to trade it in for a Stagi W-15-LN. That Stagi is going for €495 here in The Netherlands. But I think I could get more money for my Serenellini if I sold it seperate and I could probably be able to spend about €1000 on an Anglo after all is done. I noticed that the Wakker Geuns Anglos were extremely expensive ( €1900). So the question is; is the Stagi I mentioned which has steel reeds and mahogany ends OK to start off with? Or could I get something a lot better for my €1000?