Old-time Hayden: Taylor's Quickstep

Boney

I've been learning to play the Hayden concertina since last fall after playing the anglo for a few years. I'd like to be able to play nice full arrangements, but I've decided to focus on melody-only tunes for a while, partly because it's easy and fun, and partly because the melody having bounce and variation and ornamentation is very important, I think.

Anyway, I like to record myself for practice. Here's an old-time tune I transcribed from Yazoo's "Kentucky Mountain Music" 7-disc set of old-time tunes from the '20s and '30s. You can get it from Amazon.com or eMusic, or hear a sample of the tune at either site -- it's on disc 3. It's a nice crooked tune, and seems to have a bit of a Quebecois feel to me.

http://concertina.JeffLeff.com/audio/mcquick.mp3

I've ordered a Wakker Hayden -- I can't wait until it arrives!

Congrtatulations on ordering a Wakker. I'm thinking of it myself (see the other thread). I've been playing Hayden for 20+ years.

Please allow me to make some constructive criticism, taken (I hope) in the spirit of "only trying to help."

Try to incorporate the use of the left hand early in the learning process. As you become more and more proficient with the right hand it will be harder and harder to change your habits and use the left. And, of course, if you're not using the left, there's no point playing a duet concertina.

Learn a little music theory. This will inform the use of your left hand. The only left hand playing I hear in your recording is the final chord, and it is the wrong chord. You are playing the tune in D and finish it off with a G chord. Put a D chord there (move your left hand down one row and to the right) and I expect you'll find the sound more satisfying.

Tighten up your rhythm. The tempo is not constant, and as these are, at core, dance tunes, your playing would be difficult to dance to. Imagine yourself dancing (or walking) while playing. Perhaps a metronome would help. I see from your web site that you are a bones player, so I'm sure you have an internal sense of strict rhythm, and it just needs to be applied to your concertina playing.

Good luck. Keep us informed of your progress.

Please allow me to make some constructive criticism

It's a lot better than destructive praise...

Yes, what you're saying makes sense, and it's nice to have those things reinforced. You're certainly right about the rhythm, I like to try to tap my foot along to any recording (part of the reason for recording myself), and I noticed the inconsistencies. But it's such a fun tune I decided to post it anyway, and I'm sure everyone here can take in in the spirit it's intended.

I have been working on the left hand a bit, but since you mention it, I will take extra pains not to neglect it while I'm working on some tunes. I'm just finding myself demotivated...and a nicely played tune is much more satisfying than a ham-fisted two-handed arrangement. I am also working on a waltz I'm arranging, I'll probably record and post that too (but not, to put it mildly, tomorrow). Personally, I love to hear recordings from players of all levels, I wish people would do more.

I have to admit that part of what is demotivating me and also affecting the rhythm is the Stagi I'm playing. I know some people seem to not be bothered by them, but the effort to play mine makes my hands tighten up considerably. It's been that way with every Stagi I've tried. When I pick up my Wakker anglo, it feels like there's nothing but air between my hands in comparison.