Personal Histories

JimLucas

I just refound a Concertina that was given to me by my grandmother in 1975.

It’s a Wheatstone # 31987 that has been sitting in its case since my grandfathers passing.

Steve is just one more of various individuals over the past couple of years who have discovered Concertina.net and asked us for information and advice regarding instruments they've inherited. Each time we respond not only with the requested assistance, but also with a request for any known history of the instruments and those who have played them. Unfortunately, the tidbits we do get tend to become lost among the wealth of other posts (nearly 5400 separate Topics, in the Discussion Forums as I write this).

So I've decided to start this thread, as a place to accumulate short individual histories. And I'll kick it off by asking Steve:

Can you add to the history of Wheatstone #31987 anything more than the fact that it was your grandfather's?

E.g., do you remember your grandfather playing? If so, can you describe the sort(s) of music he played?

Do you have any photos of him with the instrument? Possibly even recordings?

Of course, any of us could post the histories of our own instruments, if there's anything we know aside from where we obtained them. And if anyone has a particular instrument with a history worthy of its own discussion, they could start a new Topic for that and post here a pointer to it. Of course, pointers to already-existing histories would also be appropriate.