Chemnitzer

I just picked up a fine 124 note Chemnitzer concertina and need a copy of the button layout which does not seem to be on any of the Chemnitzer sites. Can anyone help? Thanks, JL
Is yours the "Bandonian Concertina Antique MOP Inlay with Case", eBay item number: 230133483834?

If so, I've looked at the auction photos and it's not quite a Chemnitzer-- at least not an expanded version of the standard 52-button layout. The core layout (from the 38-button version) might be the same, but some other button numbers are placed differently (e.g. right hand 16, 17, 18 and "cross hairs"). I couldn't read all of them, but enough to notice the difference. Also, it's neither a subset of the (64-button) Einheitskonzertina nor an expanded Karlsfelder layout.

I would guess it's American-made, since the corners have triangle inlays, rather than lyres. It looks to have the same layout as the instrument Henry Silberhorn is playing in this photo, which (ironically) is printed in his ubiquitous tutor for "104-note" concertinas.

I think you may have to figure the button layout out for yourself. I would start with a standard layout (Like mine) and make note of changes/additions.

I wonder if the book "NICKY'S INSTRUCTOR FOR THE 130 KEY CONCERTINA" might be helpful? It's available here. According to this article the "Nicky" 130-note concertina was an expanded version of a 124-note Pearl Queen instrument, which might conceivably have the same layout as this one.

Daniel

I just picked up a fine 124 note Chemnitzer concertina and need a copy of the button layout which does not seem to be on any of the Chemnitzer sites. Can anyone help? Thanks, JL
Is yours the "Bandonian Concertina Antique MOP Inlay with Case", eBay item number: 230133483834?

If so, I've looked at the auction photos and it's not quite a Chemnitzer-- at least not an expanded version of the standard 52-button layout. The core layout (from the 38-button version) might be the same, but some other button numbers are placed differently (e.g. right hand 16, 17, 18 and "cross hairs"). I couldn't read all of them, but enough to notice the difference. Also, it's neither a subset of the (64-button) Einheitskonzertina nor an expanded Karlsfelder layout.

I would guess it's American-made, since the corners have triangle inlays, rather than lyres. It looks to have the same layout as the instrument Henry Silberhorn is playing in this photo, which (ironically) is printed in his ubiquitous tutor for "104-note" concertinas.

I think you may have to figure the button layout out for yourself. I would start with a standard layout (Like mine) and make note of changes/additions.

I wonder if the book "NICKY'S INSTRUCTOR FOR THE 130 KEY CONCERTINA" might be helpful? It's available here. According to this article the "Nicky" 130-note concertina was an expanded version of a 124-note Pearl Queen instrument, which might conceivably have the same layout as this one.
That's quite possible. It didn't have a Pearl-Queen label, but I have seen some instruments without a brand that showed signs (like the triangle inlays) of being built by Otto Schlicht (who built the PQs as well as Patek). If it is a Schlicht instrument, then the buyer got quite a deal.