Mccann Duet Players Stand Up And Be Noticed!

As the proud owner of a newly acquired 46 button McCann Duet, I was curious as to how many McCann Duet Palyers are out there?

Don't know whether I qualify or not. I've done a few numbers on Maccann in gigs years past, but these days my duet playing is mainly on the Crane, which is about even with my anglo playing, but both way behind my English. Eventually I'll get back to trying stuff on the Maccann again (also a Jeffries duet and a probably unique Pitt-Taylor), but right now I'm too busy with other things.

Lay off that E flat; It's position is genius. No normal person would have thought of it. I bet it's still annoying you though, Hooves?

Eb?

when I find it I'll let you know...

You know, it's that one on your right hand in the middle of the keyboard. All the notes around it are half an octave lower so when you hit it by mistake it sounds REALLY wrong. You're obviously coping well.

As the proud owner of a newly acquired 46 button McCann Duet, I was curious as to how many McCann Duet Palyers are out there?

As you can see from my avatar I own a MacCann. I will not call me a player yet.

ocd

As you can see from my avatar I own a MacCann. I will not call me a player yet.

ocd

Me too,

Ive got a 46 Wheatstone + 61 Edeophone. - Did have another 46 Wheatstone too up until recently.

- Know what you mean about playing in keys. I play by ear and I think im playing in C ? Having spent ages getting my head around things in that key im now trying to look at GD so I can join in with my Morris side, its like starting out all over again.

David.

ps - I like the key im playing in at the moment whatever it is ? i,ll probably continue staying with it. Its a good key for singing along to

You know, it's that one on your right hand in the middle of the keyboard. All the notes around it are half an octave lower so when you hit it by mistake it sounds REALLY wrong. You're obviously coping well.

Surely you jest: that key is very strategically placed, the good Dr. had a few tricks up his sleave.

Its use is to wake you and your audience up, it also discourages miscreants from fiddling with your box.

Devilishly Clever gent that Dr. Mc Cann...

Edited by Hooves

Hear hear.

So only 6 1/2 of us then Hooves? (I'm not giving Jim a full vote after his description of his Maccan ownership!) I thought it was more.

Hear hear.

So only 6 1/2 of us then Hooves? (I'm not giving Jim a full vote after his description of his Maccan ownership!) I thought it was more.

You can also count me as a half! Just listening to the Concertina & Squeezebox recording, I'm amazed at how "good" I sounded back in 1990.

I sold that particular instrument earlier this year, but have one in G tuning. Playing is on the "back-burner", though!

Regards,

Peter.

So only 6 1/2 of us then Hooves? (I'm not giving Jim a full vote after his description of his Maccan ownership!)

??? I didn't describe my "ownership"; I described my "playership" (maybe more "boat" than "ship"). The former does affect the latter, though. Of the Maccann's I own, only the 80-button is fully playable at the moment, and it's a bit much for the casual, occasional "practicing" I do on the Maccann at this stage.

So only 6 1/2 of us then Hooves? (I'm not giving Jim a full vote after his description of his Maccan ownership!)

??? I didn't describe my "ownership"; I described my "playership" (maybe more "boat" than "ship"). The former does affect the latter, though. Of the Maccann's I own, only the 80-button is fully playable at the moment, and it's a bit much for the casual, occasional "practicing" I do on the Maccann at this stage.

Well were looking at a small sample of players, not everybody who plays concertina is on this forum, and those who are don't always reply.

I know there are some proffessional musicians who do play the McCann Duet, such as Bob Webb, who as far as I know is not a member of Concertina.net.

I wonder if John Williams plays any sort of duet?

Regardless, we are a small but elite group.

Edited by Hooves

I was at a barndance near Malvern on Friday, and the band included a Maccann as its only concertina. It is the first time I have seen one being played apart from at Witney. They were playing again the following day at Upton-on-Severn folk festival.

The player was using a Lachenal 46-key, a rather nice one with wooden ends, metal keys and 7-fold bellows. She was mainly playing the tune, generally up the octave from written pitch, as 46-key players often find themselves doing. But this did fit nicely with the sound texture of the other instruments - melodeon, fiddle, sax and bass. The player bemoaned the absence of the low D, as one does, but said that since she preferred to play the concertina in the air rather than on her knee she valued its small size and weight.

I now have a Wheatstone 57-key which I must get around to having fixed up.

The player was using a Lachenal 46-key, a rather nice one with wooden ends, metal keys and 7-fold bellows. She was mainly playing the tune, generally up the octave from written pitch, as 46-key players often find themselves doing. But this did fit nicely with the sound texture of the other instruments - melodeon, fiddle, sax and bass. The player bemoaned the absence of the low D, as one does, but said that since she preferred to play the concertina in the air rather than on her knee she valued its small size and weight.

That sounds like it must be Jackie, who comes along to the Wolverhampton and West Marches group, and who lives out Malvern way. She's really good at punchy dancy playing - and that instrument of hers is a real delight.