Great Visit By Brian Peters To Cincinnati!

The folk and concetrtina community of Cincinnati had the pleasure of Brian Peters' company for two days.

Brian was part of a wonderful house concert with the British group Tana several days ago. For me the highlights of Brian's part of the concert were his ballad singing and of course, his amazing concertina playing.

Oh, his guitar playing and melodeon work were also stellar. It was his singing and accompaniment on "Chips

and Fish" and his amazing playing on "Dallas Rag" that put the biggest smiles on our faces.

The next night he did a concertina workshop for us. Brian has a clear, patient way of explaining how to play the anglo in the English style. We came away with a better appreciation of morris music, some insights into William Kimber's playing and enough work and handouts to keep us busy for months. Thank you, Brian!!

You lucky folks in Michigan and Illinois get to enjoy Brian before he heads home. Don't miss a chance to hear him perform or participate in one of his workshops. Great performer and teacher and all around nice guy!

Greg

Don't miss a chance to hear him perform or participate in one of his workshops. Great performer and teacher and all around nice guy!

I had the pleasure of doing a course with Brian in the UK. I think Greg's summed him up perfectly. Definitely a "do not miss!"

I took the beginner's class in Cincinnati. I play fiddle and C#/D box, but not the concertina, and almost all Irish.

I also listened in, while my son and assorted friends, new and old, took the intermediate.

Brian is an outstanding teacher. He covered an amazing amount in a short time in both workshops and handled a wide range of students deftly. My impression is that everyone came away with much to think about and work on.

Anyone further down the tour who is on the fence-go for it. Just hearing him play and discuss the style is worth the price of admission.

Dan

An educational evening thursday night. Unlike a lot of the concertinist there, I already concentratteed my melody playing to the right hand, so I don't think I found that as confusing as some of the Irish style players that were there. I did find it confusing to here so many concertinas at once, whic made the group excercises more difficult. A lot of my playing is by myself, either at home or sitting in my truck on work breaks and lunch. I did gather a lot of good informaton though, including rcieving answers for some of the questions that I was hoping to get answers for. The nice thing is that I didn't have to ask the questions, they came up in the course of the intermediate part of the workshop. For instance, you don't have to do push 4 push 5 push 4 on the right side all with the litle finger, you can shift your whole hand. Brian also explained that little finger is preferable to pinkie, as they don't seem to use that term. Anyway, I found the workshop worthwhile.

Afterwards, the conversations turned to mutual acquaintances and friends no longer with us. A quick chat with Brian about Peter Bellamy, who I had worked with on concerts he had done in Michigan. Then our hostess brought out a melodean tht had belonged to an old friend of my wife's and I, Bill Marchiello (forgive my spelling.) Turns out Greg also knew him. Actuallly, I guess that wasn't surprising, as he did live in Cincinatti when he died twenty some years ago. So we traded some recollections of Bill, who was a fine concertina player, and was always up for playing some music. Anyway, I got so caught up in remembering bill, I left a nice hat on the hat rack, and now I have to figure a way to get it back.

Alan

Thanks for the favourable comments, folks, and particularly to Greg for arranging the Cincinnati visit, pointing me at local late-night eateries and being excellent company. What a great thing this Cnet is!