More On Busking

As yankeeclipper and others pointed out, the time of day heavily influenced the results of the experiment. One wonders whether the choice of genre would have improved the responses?

Bluegrass at 7:30 AM?

Showtunes for your morning commute?

Wild Gypsy dances on the platform?

Somebody call the Post; good science demands many trials ;)

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, Ted:

Are you implying that children are more capable of making moral judgements, or just more willing? ;)

Also, in a lot of places I've been, buskers are regarded as merely a half-step above the guy on the corner holding a sign saying "Need 75 Cents". The general rule of thumb there is "Don't make eye contact!"

Every single time a child walked past, he or she tried to stop and watch. And every single time, a parent scooted the kid away.

I guess it wasn't every kid that was pushed along by parents, but I was surprised by how many.

Ah, the cultural differences.

One of the things I enjoy about busking in Helsingør is that not only do most parents let their kids stop to listen (those who wish to), but it seems to be a custom to give the kids coins to put in my "hat". :)

The great thing about intergenerational condemnations :angry: is that the victims eventually grow up to be perpetrators. :P Oh, to be one of those little kids again, when all music was new and exciting! :lol:

Edited by yankeeclipper

But then again, there is Rock and there is Pop. One is a mean of expression, another is money making.

That's such a massive generalisation! :o I wouldn't know where to begin addressing that, so I'm not even going to try... :)

On the subject of busking though, I always used to find, when I busked as a student with my battered old guitar and a harmonica or three, that I did best when playing things that the majority of people _didn't_ know. Songs by people as diverse as Dylan (yes, I used to play Desolation Row out on the streets! :lol: ) and The Wedding Present used to earn me more than "101 Favourite Hits by the Beatles"...

Edited by stuart estell

I've now read the article about Joshua Bell.

Thoroughly dispiriting in many ways - but there's some nice imagery in the article itself. I particularly liked the way the writer says Bell is detached from everyone else, and invisible as if he's a ghost, but then turns it round to say that it's the passers-by who are the ghosts.

I thought the use of the fact that the one guy's iPod was playing The Cure's "Just Like Heaven" (one of my favourite songs, that) and drawing parallels between the song's lyrics and the circumstances was a nice touch too.

The good thing about the thread is that it's definitely made me think about playing in the street again :) Birmingham City Council not being the most enlightened, I'll have to apply for a licence, but I think I might well do it...

Reminds me of the two guys who played accordion and fiddle outside a restaurant where we were eating in Paris. They were so outrageously bad <_< that the diners took up a collection and paid them to go away.

Come to think of it, I could probably pick up some change that way myself... :rolleyes:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xsirr_con...e-dans-le-metro

For those who live in the 21st century.

I know this is silly, but don't we all live in the 21st century (even if people fron time to time stop me crossing the commons and remark that I look like a time traveler from the 1890's ).

These singers were good. Thank you.

Reminds me of a communter trip from Rome to Ostia. A Russian couple got on at one of the stops with fiddle and cromatic button accordion. They played some sort of dance tune in duple rythm that eccellerated at the rate the train did. I was delighted and gave a healthy donation as the fellow passed the hat. My fellow commuters were not as pleased, put upon might sum up the attitude. They were none too pleased with me either. The couple got off at the next stop and I had to stand there under the dissaproving glare for another 3 stops :ph34r: .

Me thinks they must have worked that rail a time er' two too many <_< .

We've not had a good barn burner like this 'un in a long time. Nice! ;)

For those who have been enjoying this discussion and the article that sparked it, I recommend the transcript of an online discussion with Gene Weingarten, the author of the article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7040601228.html

A lot of passionate views were expressed there ... many from people bemoaning that they have fallen into habits/careers that don't allow time to smell the flowers (or hear the busker).

Weingarten addresses why the Post picked the place and time they did, and whether one can generalize from this instance. A good read.

One of the things I enjoy about busking in Helsingør is that not only do most parents let their kids stop to listen (those who wish to), but it seems to be a custom to give the kids coins to put in my "hat". :)

That's pretty much the way it was when I played with The Tanglers at the San Francisco Ferry Plaza Farmer's Market. People would even leave their kids to listen to us when they went shopping. We encouraged them to play percussion with us. When the core of the band moved away, whenever I went to the market (just shopping), people would stop me and ask when we were going to play again, and tell me it was one of the highlights of the market for them. Several people.

9860604-L.jpg

Ah, the cultural differences.
I bet if I were playing "out in the neighborhoods" as we say, I would have seen a different response. I can imagine the thoughts of those suburban parents downtown:

"You pestered me for months to go to the
and the
theater and dammit we're going to the American Girl Place now and not stopping because we already paid for the IMAX tickets."

But then again, there is Rock and there is Pop. One is a mean of expression, another is money making.
That's such a massive generalisation! :o I wouldn't know where to begin addressing that, so I'm not even going to try... :)
I think the distinction is not so much between "rock" and "pop" but between "music" and "the music industry."
Reminds me of the two guys who played accordion and fiddle outside a restaurant where we were eating in Paris. They were so outrageously bad <_< that the diners took up a collection and paid them to go away.
I wonder if I had heard Joshua Bell playing without seeing him, if I'd dismiss it as recorded background, since one rarely encounters a street musician who can play so flawlwessly... You expect the odd mistake.
For those who live in the 21st century.
Hmm... I thought unaccompanied singing was the oldest form of music.
Me thinks they must have worked that rail a time er' two too many <_< .
At firsrt I thought they are sent from the Church to preach. But then I found it's Naturally 7, just happened to be traveling and decided to do a shtick. They're awesome!
Drifting from topic, but tying the Russian couple and Naturally 7 together: Ever heard The Black Slavics by Les Anges Compagnie? The album is a "music fiction"-- as if the Russian Empire had taken African slaves, who combined their native vocal styles with those they encountered in Russia. Worth a listen:

To me, the whole article comes across pretty arrogant and snobbish.

At least it was quite an experience for Mr. Bell who seems so used to ovations. He certainly deserves them, but this might have teached him a little bit more humbleness (even if he was lucky - no cop chased him away).

Maybe the writers of the article did not realize that music still touches people - even if they just walk by - even if they stand in line for a lotto ticket - even if they don't turn, or stop - because they just don't feel like it. Does it really matter ? It seems not fair to take people down - just because they do not fall prey to the 'provocation'.

When I was busking I watched people walk by, and often noticed changes just for a second in the way they walked - even if they were not aware, and would not even turn. I still made them dance for just a second. Who are we to know how much we change people's lifes ?

At this point, I would prefer to stop by, and listen to a real poor, unknown busker (maybe Jim ?) who doesn't have any expectations ... (... hm ... maybe you too expect mass hysteria ? ;) ) ... only half as perfect (... not you, Jim) playing on a cheap instrument for his own survival - not for a snobbish newspaper.

Ach maybe I'm just being nasty today ...

(and yes, in Munich they have the same custom - little kids throw the money - sometimes twice cuz they do so enjoy it :) )

For those who have been enjoying this discussion and the article that sparked it, I recommend the transcript of an online discussion with Gene Weingarten, the author of the article:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...7040601228.html

Thanks for the blog link. Good stuff. Here's a musician who posted there who makes the same point I was trying to:

Even an avid arts consumer really can't pick out the difference between Joshua Bell and your average college music student. As a flutist, I probably couldn't either. Now, if you had disguised James Galway and plunked him down at L'Enfant, I probably would've noticed - but Joshua Bell (even though I know of him and have listened to him play), probably not.

The truth is that art, in all of its forms, takes a great deal of education to truly be able to appreciate the subtle differences between prodigy and average.

Here's a musician who posted there who makes the same point I was trying to:

Even an avid arts consumer really can't pick out the difference between Joshua Bell and your average college music student. As a flutist, I probably couldn't either. Now, if you had disguised James Galway and plunked him down at L'Enfant, I probably would've noticed - but Joshua Bell (even though I know of him and have listened to him play), probably not.

The truth is that art, in all of its forms, takes a great deal of education to truly be able to appreciate the subtle differences between prodigy and average.

Really! Methinks it says more about that particular musician than it does the avid art consumer. Can't pick out the difference between Joshua Bell and your average college music student (on fiddle)? Couldn't have spent much time around afore mentioned music students. Galway's playing is so highly stylized with quips and that "unique" vibrato that it would be hard for anyone to miss him. I spent two years working in a restaurant that had as its musak rotation Galway, Zamphir and Freakin' Pavarotti! Aiyee! :ph34r: I was trapped in hell until one afternoon I sang Johnny Paycheck's only hit to the owner and walked out the door to freedom!

Bell's playing is notable for it's lack of effectation and artifice. He is direct and honest in his playing and that is what stands out....to me.

The last bit about art taking a great deal of education to appreciate subtle differences between prodigy and the average is pure and complete....hogwash. Every human being deep within knows honesty in art on a primal level (children have that channel turned up to max as they've not learned to turn it down yet).

All my years in conservatory changed not one jot within my soul as to what spoke to me as the real thing. The wonder I felt at 6 years of age as my mother introduced me to Botticelli's paintings or the shudder that goes through me every time I hear the insanly fantastic fiddler Ruthie Dornfeld are the same: uninformed, honest reponse to truth devoid of "larnin'".

Sorry Boney, that feller got me stirred up. Your point was doing fine on it's own.

By the way, I love that picture of your group and take note of your attention to detail not only in your recordings but in your appearnce...a class act. A spitoon as a tip jar?...yee-haw.

Edited by Mark Evans

Everybody familiar with the Calvin & Hobbes comic strip? Here's the text from just one strip. (No picture, because -- aside from copyright issue -- my scanner has recently stopped working. But it's at the top of p. 11 in the book-collection The Days Are Just Packed.) Provided without further comment. ;)

(frame 1) Calvin: You know how everyone says you should stop and smell the roses?

(frame 2) Calvin: Well, this morning I did. Big deal! They smelled like a bunch of dumb flowers! It was the most mundane experience I've ever had!

(frame 3) Calvin: Who's got time for this nonsense! I'm a busy guy! I've got things to do! The last thing I need is to stand around with my nose in some silly plant!

(frame 4) Hobbes: I'm glad you somehow found the time for this edifying conversation.

... Calvin: Yeah well, I'm going to have to wrap it up. My TV show is about to start.