Photo In The Victoria

Coming home from Southwold today, I stopped at the Victoria Inn in Earl Soham.

There is an unlabled picture on the wall there, showing a young man from about the 1920's or early 30's, who is playing what looks like an English or Duet concertina, with an anglo on the table in front of him. The instrument being played is very large, possible 2 1/2 hands across. I forgot to count the sides.

The landlord says that he got the picture in a job-lot at auction and doesn't know anything about it. There is no name or date that I could see and the light wasn't good enough to take a picture.

The pose is very like 'Herbert Green' in the ICA archives, but isn't him.

Ant ideas?

Hilary,

When I was looking for info on Herbert Green I came across this old post and couldn't resist going a few miles down the road to see the photo. As you can see I managed to capture it. It could be Greene.

post-1944-1175842304_thumb.jpg

When I was looking for info on Herbert Green I came across this old post and couldn't resist going a few miles down the road to see the photo. As you can see I managed to capture it. It could be Greene.

post-1944-1175842304_thumb.jpg

That's some concertina, John.

In other posts, players have enquired about how to play a concertina, whilst standing. This photograph illustrates, very well, the technique for even the largest Duet system. With metal ends, it will be quite a heavy instrument.

Note, the player is leaning back, slightly, to counter-balance the weight. I've seen Peter Honri perform, a couple of times, and assumed that his performance is typical of the Music Hall artists who played these large instruments. He moves about a lot, on stage, which ensures that the body is not too stressed by maintaining a constant posture.

Regards,

Peter.

There is an unlabled picture on the wall there, showing a young man from about the 1920's or early 30's, who is playing what looks like an English or Duet concertina, with an anglo on the table in front of him.

The instrument on the table is no doubt a mini and I'm guessing a mini-duet which I believe does exist.

Perry Werner

Edited by Perry Werner

Great concertina, interesting picture.

There is a name embossed in Gold? across the hand strap. (Up-side down)

The definition is not particularly good, but to me it seems to read - C.WHEATSTONE - !!

Is anybody more skilled than I am at photographic detective work??

regards

Jake

Edited by Jake

Studying the picture, I almost certain that this is an early picture of Billy Hartford aka Bill Bullen, a professional exponent of the concertina and the piano accordian. I knew 'Bill' for many of his later years and certain facial features in the pictures remind me of him.

He was a contemporary of Bert Greene and, together with a George Crathern, often played at events as a trio. The sound of three 81 key duets playing the different parts of a piece was something to behold.

The instrument being played is a Wheatstone Maccann Duet and that on the table, a 12 key miniature English.

I will try and search out some later pictures of Bill and post them.

Geoff

Thanks for the picture and the info. :)

I've not managed to get back to the Victoria since the first post.

The landlord there had no idea who the picture was of but didn't think it was anyone local as he'd picked it up at a car boot sale simply because he felt it fitted with the other decor of the pub.

There is a name embossed in Gold? across the hand strap. (Up-side down)

The definition is not particularly good, but to me it seems to read - C.WHEATSTONE - !!

Jake,

Gold-embossed straps like those were standard on Wheatstone instruments at the time, I've seen quite a few that still had them.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

In other posts, players have enquired about how to play a concertina, whilst standing. This photograph illustrates, very well, the technique for even the largest Duet system. With metal ends, it will be quite a heavy instrument.

Note, the player is leaning back, slightly, to counter-balance the weight.

I don't think anyone knew this was how it was done, you should have put your tuppence worth in Peter! I went off and tried it and it works for me, but it is a bit strange at first, the instrument is yelling in your ears (very stereo, at that) and you look at the world over the top of the corrugations of the bellows.

I bet he had a "dural frames and ends" model for weight saving.

Note, the player is leaning back, slightly, to counter-balance the weight.

I don't think anyone knew this was how it was done, you should have put your tuppence worth in Peter! I went off and tried it and it works for me, but it is a bit strange at first, the instrument is yelling in your ears (very stereo, at that) and you look at the world over the top of the corrugations of the bellows.

Good :) .

When you have become used to this technique, the next stage it to try swinging the concertina; remembering (i) not to hit anything (light fittings and chairs** are the obvious candidates :huh: ) and (ii) not to let go of the instrument! This adds a whole new dimension to your playing, as long as you pick your tunes carefully (cf John Kirkpatrick playing "The Bells").

** I've done this......with someone else's concertina! Luckily, it was a padded chair, and no damage was done.

Regards,

Peter.