Hello, Any Advice On Tutor Books?

Angie Burn

I had no idea how loud the concertina was until I bought it. we live in a small bungalow and my poor hubby has to turn up the TV loud to drown out the sound of my practising.

You could get a concertina for your husband, or a set of headphones for the TV sound. :D

Guest Old Leaky

Just bear in mind that whatever "system" you learn from Whatsisname Whoever's book, when you're ready to enrol on your first course by a leading proponent in your chosen style (Noel Hill for Irish, say) you'll probably have to spend the first few hours/day UN-learning it as theirs will invariably be different!

Edited by Old Leaky

Thanks for all the advice everybody!

By the way Tootler and Theo, as you both live near my neck of the woods in the canny North East of England, are there ever any workshops in this area apart from the Whitby Folk week? I was really excited on here to read about a workshop in Sunderland in April.......... then realized it was Sunderland USA :huh:

Thanks for all the advice everybody!

By the way Tootler and Theo, as you both live near my neck of the woods in the canny North East of England, are there ever any workshops in this area apart from the Whitby Folk week? I was really excited on here to read about a workshop in Sunderland in April.......... then realized it was Sunderland USA :huh:

Actually, I will be closer to you than Tootler is; Theo is probably nearer.

There are quite a lot of concertina activities around here although the bias is towards English rather than Anglo.

An English concertina class is about to start at The Sage (Folkworks). Swaledale is coming up. That is for all systems and definitely Anglo-friendly but is not really for beginners. They are a very welcoming bunch though.

There are a few Anglo players around: email me for some ideas, Roger