Noel Hill At Cincinnati.

Hello there,

well I'm thinking of doing a Noel Hill class this year (my first) and I think Cincinnati is my closest. Has anyone been to his class there? What is the setting and accomodation like? I've requested info from Noel but thought I might get some additional from previous visitors too.

Thanks, Alan.

Hello there,

well I'm thinking of doing a Noel Hill class this year (my first) and I think Cincinnati is my closest. Has anyone been to his class there? What is the setting and accomodation like? I've requested info from Noel but thought I might get some additional from previous visitors too.

Thanks, Alan.

I attended there last year and may, if fortune smiles, attend again this year. The accomodations were at a Jesuit retreat house outside of Cincinnati. The grounds are peaceful and lovely. Plenty of space and opportunity to practice outdoors between lessons. Rooms are small and spare, but more than adequate for a week; and they are air conditioned. Southern Ohio in summer is pretty humid. Food was pretty good, though I'm known to eat just about anything so I'm not the best judge of that.

All in all the accomodations for learning, practicing, and living were very nice. It was a great experience for me and has significantly helped my playing.

Hello there,

Thanks, Alan.

i second cary's recommendation. the accomodations are good and the food is decent. there is plenty of space to explore outside and walk around, more space and interesting things in nature than there is time to see them.

the best part of it all is the great people that go to the camp. last year several students who could not make it for the whole week came to visit for a night, just to say hello to everyone and catch up. everyone brings all their concertinas and are very generous in letting everyone else try their instruments--there's even a resident concertina maker ( http://www.carrollconcertinas.com ).

hope to see you there! if you have any other questions, feel free to post them on the board.

Hi Alan,

I've been going to Noel's classes since he first started doing the school up at Bucksteep in the Berkshire Mountains of Massachussetts. The school has been going for 12 years I think and I'm heading back for my 11th time. Each year I find more to learn and enjoy. It charges my musical batteries and gives me lots of material to challenge me for the following winter. I moved from the original NY class to the Cincinatti class because it was far closer and therefore more economical for me.

If you have a real interest in the anglo, you can't find a better, more dedicated, teacher; and the environment is excellent. Unlike other schools that cover a wide range of instruments -- resulting in myriad distractions -- everybody here is focused on the concertina and traditional Irish music. So you have a real opportunity to learn and share a common interest with a group of like-minded individuals.

The school is quite a bargain and yet very challenging. You should know that Noel has each student play a piece or two so he can judge what level is best for that student. Usually the students are broken into three groups (beginner, intermediate, advanced) and the classwork and tunes assigned are based on ones' capabilities. That way you're never in over your head and Noel can customize his teaching to the level of students. Noel does teach some specific fingering which gives you a better base to grow and advance on the instrument. During my first year, I suffered for a few days as I learned his way of doing things, but I never looked back. It was well worth the effort to learn his way of playing.

You have two class sessions -- one each morning and another in the afternoon and a new tune is taught at each class session. Usually there is at least one evening concert during the week. We had two last year -- one for the students only on Tuesday and another on Thursday when the public was invited. I make a point of carefully recording the concerts and the class sessions and consider these concert recordings real treasures to enjoy again and again. So, bring a good recording device (I recommend the mini-disc recorders) and you won't regret it.

As David pointed out, the surroundings at the Cincinatti site are very pleasant. The grounds are great for a walk or a relaxing place to practice. Food at this type of event is never expected to be Five Star, but last year's fare was varied and there was plenty to eat. They even had some fruit and cookies available for unrepentant snackers like myself. We did everything in one building, and it was impeccably clean and well air conditioned. We had a large lounge where classes were conducted and the dining room was just across the hall. The bedrooms were small but nice -- with a sink. The showers and toilets were down the hall so a robe and flip-flops are advised. No TVs but then we didn't need or want them. We had lots of room to stretch out at the retreat with an empty room between each occupied room, so we could practice without much intereference from ones neighbors.

To quote the old TV ad: "Try it. You'll like it!"

Hope to see you there,

Ross Schlabach