Symphonion

Mike,

Wow, you guys are great, what a great direction to pursue. The information you guys have supplied is fantastic. I will post on the outcome when I have completed my search and thoroughly covered all the new info you have taken the time to relay to me.

Best Regards,

Eric

Picked this up in Germany on and antique hunt, we were required to purchase it along with other antiques we were wanting. Have only basic knowledge as to the history of this old music maker. It is coin operated and I have attached photos if anyone can help me with it's possible worth in todays market. Any other information would be appreciated, thanks...Eric

It's very collectable, worth maybe $10K or more.

The group you want to contact isthe MBSI (Music Box Society International) (a.k.a. Mighty Big Spenders :P )

We have a Web site, tho I don't have it handy.

Most MBSI members would buy the Symphonion and put up with the other "stuff" that you have. I'm sure you'll find a willing buyer for it, especially if it's in playing condition, as they often are (no leather bellows or pads to go bad, but springs do break).

The metal tongues of music boxes are similar to concertina reeds, but are plucked rather than blown. Tuning them is the same as a reed -- file tip or root. But yes, this is off topic.

--Mike K.

Hey Anthony,

That I will do, thanks for the direct message with the information, I may be a bit of an authority on this piece after all the research. Will post final outcome, hopefully soon.

Sincerely,

Eric

You might want to contact Bobby Skinner here in New Orleans -- he's a collector, historian and restorer of antique player pianos and "mechanical orchestras," as he once explained it to me. (Luckily his collection was unharmed during the storm.) He could probably tell you quite a bit about the piece you have there.

I'll send you his e-mail address privately.

- Anthony

post-3689-1173537124_thumb.jpgpost-3689-1173536962_thumb.jpgpost-3689-1173536989_thumb.jpgPicked this up in Germany on and antique hunt, we were required to purchase it along with other antiques we were wanting. Have only basic knowledge as to the history of this old music maker. It is coin operated and I have attached photos if anyone can help me with it's possible worth in todays market. Any other information would be appreciated, thanks...Eric

Hello,

don´t know whether you have a translation of the plate you´ve posted... it says

"Any attempt to make the machine work apart from inserting a five Pfennig (formerly used) coin

will be criminally prosecuted."

Well, I hope my translation is understandable :)