New Batch Of Recordings

stuart estell

Folks

I've been mucking about with my new multitrack recording machine thingy and set myself a project as a task to try and get used to using the thing. So I've set about recording my own version of Syd Barrett's "The Madcap Laughs" album. It's something I've wanted to do for a while and so far it's proving to be quite a challenge. I'm about 2/3 of the way through, so thought I'd start posting them up on the web.

Anyway, I've written a bit of blurb to go with the recordings on my website here:

http://stuartestell.co.uk/covers-projects/

If you only want to hear songs with concertina on, they are tracks 2, 3, 4, 6, and 7.

Folks

I've been mucking about with my new multitrack recording machine thingy and set myself a project as a task to try and get used to using the thing. So I've set about recording my own version of Syd Barrett's "The Madcap Laughs" album. It's something I've wanted to do for a while and so far it's proving to be quite a challenge. I'm about 2/3 of the way through, so thought I'd start posting them up on the web.

Anyway, I've written a bit of blurb to go with the recordings on my website here:

http://stuartestell.co.uk/covers-projects/

If you only want to hear songs with concertina on, they are tracks 2, 3, 4, 6, and 7.

Sorry, messed up last reply.

Really enjoyed the tracks. They took me way back to student days during the barren early 80's when I took refuge from Duran Duran et al in second hand record shops and the 60's and early 70's. I haven't heard the album for nearly 25 years!

keep up the good work. What will the next album be ? This could be a runner !

Regards

Trilby

Well, I need to get the rest of Madcap finished, and then there's Barrett to do...

I've been toying with the idea of doing Psychocandy by the Jesus And Mary Chain in its entirety too. I thought it might be interesting to approach it in a really folky/countryish way. After all one of their main influences was Hank Williams...

I didn't know that. Love Hank, not so keen on JAMC. I have been trying to think of artists I would want to the same for......... best so far and in the same kind of field would be Kevin Coyne. To my mind one of Britains most underrated artists.

The more I think about it the more I like the idea. I would love to start doing some home recording.

Regards

Trilby

I didn't know that. Love Hank, not so keen on JAMC.

Yes, there was a great interview with Jim Reid many moons ago in which he said something (unrepeatable on a family forum) about their idolising Hank for being the forerunner of the darker side of Rock & Roll. What's more, the older he gets the more he gets to sound (and, indeed look :o ) like Hank Williams.

Hank would be a very worthy target for this kind of project of course - maybe the Luke The Drifter spoken word stuff?

The more I think about it the more I like the idea. I would love to start doing some home recording.

It's not too hard to get started. If you wanted to do multitracking you can do it with a computer, a single microphone, and a pair of headphones - there's no need to spend a great deal of money if you're finding your feet. Have a go, it's brilliant fun...