Lachenal 41 Key Concertina Squeeze Box

danthoms

I have a Lachenal 41 Key Concertina Squeeze Box on ebay right now. I just got it and don't know too much about them but I thought that you guys may be interested in at least taking a look at the auction. Its SERIAL NUMBER: 183671. I think that dates it from around 1927. Like I said I just thought you may be interested so I would go ahead and post it here. Anyhow if you want to take a look its

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=180090080573

Feel free to ask me any questions or tell me anything about it that I may not know.

I have a Lachenal 41 Key Concertina Squeeze Box on ebay right now. I just got it and don't know too much about them but I thought that you guys may be interested in at least taking a look at the auction. Its SERIAL NUMBER: 183671. I think that dates it from around 1927. Like I said I just thought you may be interested so I would go ahead and post it here. Anyhow if you want to take a look its

Feel free to ask me any questions or tell me anything about it that I may not know.

I put the initial bids on it yesterday morning, just to get it going, though I'm sure it is ultimately going to bring more than I can afford. I would like to possibly look at it, I'm north of you in the Columbus area.

Alan

I put the initial bids on it yesterday morning, just to get it going, though I'm sure it is ultimately going to bring more than I can afford. I would like to possibly look at it, I'm north of you in the Columbus area.

Alan

I have never quite understood the thinking of people who put bids on items "just to get them going". If you know you won't get it, why spend your time putting low bids on?

Alan

I have never quite understood the thinking of people who put bids on items "just to get them going". If you know you won't get it, why spend your time putting low bids on?

Well it had a reserve and he just wanted to see where the reserve left off. I have no idea how much these are worth though. If you want to take a look at it email me dirrect at danthoms@yahoo.com

I do have another guy from Kentucky who is also supposed to be coming to take a look at it.

Paul,

1. Like our new friend said, there was a reserve on it, and I wanted to see where it was at.

2. While I have an idea what it might be worth, it is always worth putting out a few bids to see if I can get a bargain. That is always part of the fun.

3. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, after all, I could end up with a nice box a wouldn't have had otherwise.

Alan

I see it went to one of us. It will be interesting to hear about it.

Hmmm, and "one of us" is even more curious to find out what it's like ... :unsure:

It had better be in D/A, and being in Cincinatti makes such a rare tuning seem more plausible (there seems to have been a "nest" of them there?), but if it isn't it's liable to get sold on again! :o

But I really fancy trying an Anglo that plays more like my C#/D box.

Edited by Stephen Chambers

• 2 weeks later...
I believe it was the top model Lachenal made at the time but I'm sure others would know better. It would be interesting to know how much better it is than the acerage Lachenal

Paul,

It's an unusual one, I don't recall seeing a wooden-ended Lachenal Anglo with ebonised ends and metal buttons before, and "toppish" in the range (probably a "special order" as it isn't listed in any of their catalogues?), but not the "top model". The usual wooden-ended 40-key had rosewood ends and bone buttons, and cost £10 ,, 7s, but above that they made a 38-key Jeffries-style Special Anglo Model for £13 (which I've had several of), and even highly rare New Model Anglos with raised ends and very long-scale reeds (I once had a mint condition 30-key) listed with 40 keys and raised ebony ends for £16 ,, 10s.

I'm dying to see it and I'll give you a report on it when it arrives but, seeing that it's St.Patrick's Day this weekend, it can't possibly arrive before Tuesday now. (Mind you, I might die anyway when I get the bill from Customs - it'll be around 3% Duty + 21% VAT + "handling" !!!!! :wacko: )