Looking For Lessons

taibhse

I live in the tampabay(Tampa, stpete, clearwater) area of florida more specifically dunedin.

I am interested in finding a teacher of concertina. Does anyone know of any place near by that teaches it?

And also where I can get a good fairly inexpensive one for while I learn?

thank you

I live in the tampabay(Tampa, stpete, clearwater) area of florida more specifically dunedin.

I am interested in finding a teacher of concertina. Does anyone know of any place near by that teaches it?

thank you

Hello taibhse,

I live in Tampa and would be happy to help you, I have sent a private message off board.

thank you

Hello taibhse,

I live in Tampa and would be happy to help you, I have sent a private message off board.

Hey people.

Nobody answered my message about correspondence course. :blink:

Why?

Here's the idea again.

Say, John wants to take lessons from Vlad, but Vlad lives in Belgrade, and John in South Africa. Not a problem, says I. Let Vlad record a lesson for John on audio tape, and send the tape with accompanying materials and assignment to South Africa.

John has 10 days to review the tape, read materials, work out the assignments, record his tape and send it back to Vlad. Vlad reviews the tape, and while doing it, records his own suggestions and plays some pieces. Sends it back with materials etc.

So John will have the tapes, which he can review many times, thus having a lesson with quazi teacher every day if he wishes. Vlad will not have to set up a studio or time, and will have the luxury to record a lesson at any convinient time.

Both have reasonably live interacion, they can phone each other, send emails and exchange recordings.

It has been successfully tried by me and Gary Dahl (he has his teaching business set up this way). So pupil from Tampa will have luxury of taking lessons from Noel Hill in Ireland, or whoever will take him as pupil.

So Daniel and Taibhse, who live in the same area, but not necessarily within 30 minutes of driving, will have it the easy way.

No? What do you think? This way scattered and miniscule concertina community will get closer etc. etc.

Thanks.

Guest Mick Diles
Hey people.

Nobody answered my message about correspondence course. :blink:

Why?

Sounds rather complicated. Instead of a direct pupil / teacher relation your idea uses a chain (which is as strong as the weakest link)! Who guarantees the quality of the "lesson". Who will be paid for what???

• 3 weeks later...

I would love to have this option. For a number of reasons- firstly, as a beginner concertina player, I get nervous when playing in front of some people and so although I might have the tune "off", if I have a bit of a fall apart when I go for my next lesson, it can be difficult for a teacher to guage how I am doing, sometimes only seeing how nervous I am whilst probably seeing that I do in fact have the music in me( the fact that I have played other instruments whilst making it easier in some ways ,also unfortunately highlights to how scrappy my playing can be, whcih in turn leaves me nervous playing in front of others. Of course pride doesn't help!!). Secondly, on the East coast, concertinas classes are not plentiful and all classes are now booked out.

For me, a system of maybe a tune as an attachment to a mail with possible suggestions as to how to play certain parts i.e. whether to use the high D on inside row or middle to give a certain sound, how to embellish a particular note etc would make my life so much easier and I would be glad to pay for such lessons for someone that could help me progress

Edited by Larryo

I would make the suggestion Larryo that you try and record yourself playing.This creates the same pressure as if you were in front of an audience and you also get a chance to listen to yourself playing and be your own critic.

Taibse,you will never get a better offer of help than Dan is offering.Not only is he a great guy, but a wonderful musician with the concertina and banjo.Grab his offer quick before he changes his mind.

Al

Who guarantees the quality of the "lesson". Who will be paid for what???

Well you send a cheque back with each finished taped lesson, which gives solid reason for the tutor to do a careful review and record a reply in order to earn another one. If you don't like the way things are going you stop sending money.

I can see two problems. Firstly it's too easy for a pupil to drift away; with a complete beginner it might be useful to have an incentive to keep going through the 'disaffection period' (there was one occasion where only the fact that my parents had paid for piano lessons and I was being reminded forcefully of my promise to stick at it kept me going; looking back I'm very glad I did, because it undoubtedly led to me having the fun with music I do now). Perhaps a potential tutor should do a couple of lessons free, 'on approval' then charge for 10 at a time?

Secondly it's very cumbersome; the time taken for postage is enough to really slow it down.

I recorded myself for the first time recently; Alan's right, it's surprisingly alarming and I'm sure it's good for you to hear how creakily you really play.