Just A Thought

Hi concertina enthusiasts!

I've been exploring the possibility to get an anglo lately, since I met a lady not so far from me who happened to find one at auction (same luck as I had with the Wheatstone) and it would be cool to learn together, besides I need to do some work on my Wheatstone and it would be nice to have another concertina to play while I have the other one in pieces.

I knew since my search last year that it isn't easy and that they do cost. Now this question just arose, where do people get there boxes, in reality?? Do beginner players really pay anything from 1500 dollars and up for their first instrument?? I think that sounds quite absurd... of course one wants a good instrument to start with, but that's quite a lot of money for an instrument you don't even know how to play. And anyone you ask will tell you DON'T BUY STAGI OR HOHNER!! So what do people do??

I've bidded on a 20 key on Ebay, if not good for Irish music, at least good for some Swedish music and something to start with. I'm also looking at Rochelles, but they seem to be sold out at Concertina connection and The music room has a quite high price. All other choices right now are in the US which gives a very high shipping price.

I'm quite hooked on bellows instruments at the moment, have tried our melodeons, but I like them smaller, we bought a one row cajun style melodeon on EBay but it needs some work and - I really prefer the concertina size of instrument!! B)

Wish me luck!

I've been exploring the possibility to get an anglo lately, since I met a lady not so far from me who happened to find one at auction (same luck as I had with the Wheatstone) and it would be cool to learn together, besides I need to do some work on my Wheatstone and it would be nice to have another concertina to play while I have the other one in pieces.

I knew since my search last year that it isn't easy and that they do cost. Now this question just arose, where do people get there boxes, in reality?? Do beginner players really pay anything from 1500 dollars and up for their first instrument?? I think that sounds quite absurd... of course one wants a good instrument to start with, but that's quite a lot of money for an instrument you don't even know how to play. And anyone you ask will tell you DON'T BUY STAGI OR HOHNER!! So what do people do??

I've bidded on a 20 key on Ebay, if not good for Irish music, at least good for some Swedish music and something to start with. I'm also looking at Rochelles, but they seem to be sold out at Concertina connection and The music room has a quite high price. All other choices right now are in the US which gives a very high shipping price.

I'm quite hooked on bellows instruments at the moment, have tried our melodeons, but I like them smaller, we bought a one row cajun style melodeon on EBay but it needs some work and - I really prefer the concertina size of instrument!! B)

Wish me luck!

We'll have to be careful not to re-visit the "The Trouble With Anglo Concertina Availability" thread.

I don't think that there is an easy answer. £ for £, or $ for $, you get much more English or Duet concertina than you do Anglo. So, if you already played Anglo, and wanted to try an English, or Duet, of similar quality, it would be fairly easy to source one.

I think that you have only three (or two realistic) options:

Go for a lower quality Anglo.

Go for a better quality Anglo, if funds permit, at a higher price (you can always sell it on)

Wait until the "right" one turns up at an acceptable price (i.e. be lucky).

Waiting is not an option, if you want to learn with your friend.

My only other suggestion would be to advertise "Anglo wanted", here, and see what, if anything, other players are prepared to offer. Anyone going from mid-range to a better instrument might want/need to sell on their old instrument. The more people who know you are looking, the more likely you are to hear about instruments.

Also remember that "Sod's Law" suggests that when you want to buy an instrument, you can't find one anywhere; when you want to sell one, you can't find a buyer. Logic suggests that someone, out there, will have an instrument which they want to sell.

Good luck with your search, and keep us posted.

Regards,

Peter.

Wish me luck!

I think Bob Tedrow has some Rochelles