Looking For A Hayden

Boney

I've started looking for a good Hayden concertina, one with at least 60 buttons or so. I've played anglo for about three and a half years, and I've been becoming a bit dissatisfied with its shortcomings, especially since I've been trying to learn fuller, more complex arrangements in various keys. The non-intuitive layout also seems to be holding me back from picking tunes up quickly and remembering them -- I'm still prone to "train wrecks" when something goes wrong, like the bellows direction getting out of synch. I was considering getting an anglo with 36 or 40 keys, but I also thought I'd like to try the Hayden layout. I do like the bounciness of the anglo, but I think my experience with it will help me transfer those techniques to a duet. I was also considering trying something like a chromatic button acordion, but I really like the sound of concertina reeds, the portability of the concertina, and the fully-independent left-hand side.

So I bought a Stagi Hayden from the Button Box in September, and have been tinkering around with it enough to realize I want to really make a go at it -- tunes seem to really fall under my fingers easily! But the Stagi, besides sounding mediocre, is a real bear to play compared to my Wakker anglo, even though it's starting to break in a bit. I'm going to continue playing anglo, and won't give up my Wakker, but I do have a weak Stagi anglo and an incredibly sweet old-timey sounding 20-button Lachenal I might part with to fund a new Hayden (as well as selling my Stagi Hayden). Oh, and I'll probably sell a beat-up Wheatstone english I was thinking of trying to restore as a learning exercise, but with the Hayden, I don't think I have the motivation.

So, I'm putting a feeler out to see what's out there. I know both the Button Box and the Concertina Connection are planning to eventually make Hayden boxes, and I might just wait for them. The Stagi I have isn't that bad, it's just not a "joy" to play. But if I run across a good Hayden, I'm ready to buy. So, if you have anything you think I might consider, let me know! I know I can't be too picky with the small number of instruments out there, but I want something that's a very supple and easy squeeze, I prefer a mellow oboe-like tone as opposed to a prominent, brassy tone, and small is nice.

I've sent this note to Chris Algar (of Barleycorn Concertinas) and Paul Groff, but if anyone knows of any other places to look (or even better, a lead on an instrument), please let me know! Thanks.

I think this one may still be available. But seriously, if I learned one thing playing that instrument, it's that I should be happy with my 46 buttons. You don't need 60. Sure, 55 is tempting, but more buttons mean bigger, heavier instruments.

If you can find a decent 46 Hayden, grab it. But I have no idea where you'll find one.