For Sale: Shakespear 60 Key Maccann Duet!

Craig Wagner

Rare Mccann Duet concertina. My best estimated is that it is by Shakespeare, though the reed pan layout and the strap configuration is like a Jeffries – though I’ve never seen a Jeffries Duet like this. Completely refurbished in mechanics, cosmetics and tuning in October, 2006 by the Button Box. A larger version with 60 keys (32 in right and 28 on left) plus air button. Very nice nickel ends, 7 fold-bellows, steel reeds in C tuning. No visible instrument number, but available information on Shakespeare suggests it was created at the end of the 19th century or early 20th century. The bellows are air tight. No case.

There are scratches and scuffs as would be expected from a 100 year old instrument, but the instrument is completely sound. Some of the plating has worn off the metal ends. The handles are not original – someone had replaced the original handles with ones that didn’t fit properly, so Bob at the Button Box replace them handles with the present ones. They feel comfortable. The original handles were of the “Jeffries variety”, with the circular screw-downs on the top of the concertina (visible in the photos).

In excellent shape, ready to play. In perfect tune, A=440. The instrument is somewhat larger than a standard Anglo, standing xx inches high, but still quite comfortable on the hands to hold and play.

See see http://www.concertina.com/maccann-duet for information on MacCann systems. For the button layout, look at the 67 key diagram on page 4 at http://www.concertina.com/gaskins/chords/G...-3.pdfTutor.pdf. It is the same except that there are some keys closest to the hands not present in the 60 key that are in the 67 key.

I’m selling it to help finance my son’s college education. Also, I’ve learned the Jeffries duet system in addition to Anglo layout, and it is too hard to get my brain around yet another button layout. Price is $3450 plus insurance and shipping. If sold through Concertina Net, I’ll make a donation to Paul for his great work on our collective behalf.

Thanks,

Craig Wagner

post-320-1165103694_thumb.jpg

post-320-1165103938_thumb.jpg

Edited by Craig Wagner