Concertinas And Effects Boxes

...real-time alteration of amplified concertina sound using guitar effects boxes/pedals.
It's not an "effect" per se, but why not try one of those "bullet" microphone/overdriven tube amplifier setups that the blues harmonica players use. You might have to stick one side of the concertina close to the mic to get the right tone. Edited by Theodore Kloba

QUOTE(Mattamar Pazzolov @ Nov 18 2006, 03:25 PM)

Having no skill what-so-ever on my box has not stopped me from recording with it as a background drone to some music. I've found an Overdrive/Bit-crusher/modulated combination with a little vintage wah creates a tone not unlike a flaming Aboriginal didgeridoo recorded off an answering machine (which, incidently, is kinda what I was going for).

This same combination used on my clothes dryer yielded similar results.

I hope you'll share these recordings with us... "

Yeah, I would like to hear that too.

I play loud echo ridden dance halls for contra dancers and to give me more control over my timbre I got a Korg Tone Works AX30G. They call it a Guitar Hyperperformance Processor but it works fine with concertina via micro-vox mics that attach to my Anglo. This unit is over 10 years old and still plays great even though I stomp on it all night long. You can still find these on ebay.

It will make all kinds of strange noises including lots of feedback and distortion, though what I want it to do is so subtle that my band mates ask me if I forgot to turn it on. Mostly EQ and boring stuff like that... to let me cut through the acoustic mess bouncing off the walls at a dance. I want effects but I still want to sound like a concertina... on steroids!

The pressure pedal on my Korg allows me to dynamically alter any effect. That is to say, I can set it up so that with no pressure my concertina sounds pretty normal, then as I push with my foot it gets more and more wet and shimmery. That really cuts through the mess without increasing my volume (getting me in trouble with the people running the sound board). Another useful feature; the four user preset foot pedals allow me to switch from one effect voice texture to another with ease during performance.

I love my multi effects box, but I would rather not need it.

Edited by Jody Kruskal