Jigs On English Concertina

Susanne

I've just started learning some Irish music on my Wheatstone, after some rambling around with chords and back-up to Swedish music. What comes most naturally for me is to "slur" or whatever you call it in concertina language, I pull (or push) the bellows and produce notes without changing bellows direction until the next series of notes. I'm not sure what to do since I've never played such instruments before.

What would you do?

What do you think sounds the best?

What is the easiest way to play a jig on an EC?

What would you do?

I would make contact with Henrik Müller, because:

• He knows very well how to play the Irish stuff on the English concertina.
  • He lives in Sweden as well (in Höör, which is about a 340km drive from Vargön)
  • Last but not least: he is a nice guy :)

Another option is to wait till the next SSI, where you might meet some more excellent players (Danny, Jonathan) that know how to play Irish on the EC.

What would you do?

What do you think sounds the best?

What is the easiest way to play a jig on an EC?

Uh-huh, I have to comment that one - seeing that my advertising agent has paved the ground for me :D thanks Henk - good to see you back!

I think I know your problem (for a number of years I was frustrated with jigs - what do you do with the quarter notes, where can you add ornamentation?). Eventually, I did come up with a way of making jigs flow better, but there is no straight, off-the-shelf answer, but I can probably come up with some suggestions. Can you give me some names of the jigs you are trying right now? I can give them a try, hopefully ending up with something useful and explainable.

/Henrik

The only one I can think of right now is Morrison's jig, but I know I'm trying to play a few more. I'll be back. Thanks:)

Ups, that was a hard one to start with... :) - on an EC.

It has all sorts of "wrong fingers-crossfingering" and doubling fingers on the same button-stuff.

/Henrik