Glues For All Occaisions

I like that term "car boot sale." I immediately knew what Dave meant, but still, it just creates such a picture.

Alan

"Car Boot Sales" have really taken off in the UK over the last few years, some being huge events with hundreds of participants trying to offload the stuff they would otherwise have thrown or given away or hidden in the loft for future generations or the next owners of the house :lol: .

What is the equivalent in the US? A garage or yard sale seems to be a small or solo event by comparison.

Pete

What is the equivalent in the US? A garage or yard sale seems to be a small or solo event by comparison.
Yes, those are usually solo affairs though sometimes a neighborhood will hold a congregate event.

Larger are usually in set places at set times (such as every Sunday, first weekend of the month, at the annual town fair, etc.) which are usually called "flea markets" around here. They can be pretty small (about a dozen "dealers" or so) to enormous. Typical good sized ones are usually held in a farmer's field and have maybe 200-300 dealers from one-time shots of attic cleaning or house moving to regulars that dabble in estate cast-offs, antique collectors, discount new goods sellers (tools, household items, shirts...), food vendors, farmer's produce and so forth. Quite the mixed bag.

And then there's Brimfield that happens 3 times a year for a week long each. The entire town turns into an enormous flea market. There are dozens of smaller areas with a handful of dealers to a few with several hundred to some that have over a thousand dealers. The nice thing about this event is that it's only old stuff. While I've scored scores of accordions there I've found only 3 vintage concertinas. Lots of flutinas though.

-- Rich --

I also have a 1 quart gluepot in the workshop - about the right size for cooking a stew but a bit O.T.T. for concertina pad quantity dabs of glue

Dave

I have a quart size electric glue pot as well. When I was making violins, I used to use it as sort of a double boiler with a cover that had a hole in it just the right size for a one cup stainless mixing bowl. I kept a cover on that to keep the small amount of glue in it from drying out too much ( Need thinner glue for gluing the top plate and fingerboard on than the rest of the instrument. when I needed smaller amounts, I would put a cover on with a hole the size of a test tube and put the glue in that.

I never did the volume of work with it that justified having a full size pot going all day, and the glue starts to degrade afrter a while under the heat even though it lasts nigh forever in dry form. I have found that in dry climates hide glue can get quite brittle and won't put up with differential shrinkage of poorly oriented corner blocks and the like. It is also pretty heat sensitive. I've been handed more than one violin that was ENTIRELY reduced to it's component parts after having been left in a car trunk for just a little too long in warm weather. ( Of course we all know that is nearly certain death for child / dog or violin / concertina alike, but some people don't stop to think when they are going to a session and just want to hop into the store "for a second" to get something to bring to the party. )

Dana

Yes, those are usually solo affairs though sometimes a neighborhood will hold a congregate event.

Larger are usually in set places at set times (such as every Sunday, first weekend of the month, at the annual town fair, etc.) which are usually called "flea markets" around here. They can be pretty small (about a dozen "dealers" or so) to enormous. Typical good sized ones are usually held in a farmer's field and have maybe 200-300 dealers from one-time shots of attic cleaning or house moving to regulars that dabble in estate cast-offs, antique collectors, discount new goods sellers (tools, household items, shirts...), food vendors, farmer's produce and so forth. Quite the mixed bag.

And then there's Brimfield that happens 3 times a year for a week long each. The entire town turns into an enormous flea market. There are dozens of smaller areas with a handful of dealers to a few with several hundred to some that have over a thousand dealers. The nice thing about this event is that it's only old stuff. While I've scored scores of accordions there I've found only 3 vintage concertinas. Lots of flutinas though.

-- Rich --

Thanks for that Richard. That is certainly one heck of a flea market :o

Pete