New Guy! What's A Good Beginner's Set Up?

Hi guys,

Am brand-new to this forum.

I had a concertina as a boy. Now that I'm an adult, I was thinking it might be fun to play again.

I know nothing about brands and styles, however. Looking online - I can't to get a good answer.

What's a good set up for a beginner? What's a good resource to look at?

Thanks,

- Th

Hi guys,

Thanks,

- Th

A great resource; scholarly articles:

http://www.concertina.com/

The parent site to this net:

http://www.concertina.net/

Lots of good information:

http://www.concertina.info/

This net is the best place for information. What part of the world do you live? What kind of music do you like? Do you play music, or have a backround in another instrument, or are you like me; beginner in both?? Not personal questions, just so the experts can direct. You're right! It's fun to play even for my own amusement.

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

Hi guys,

Thanks,

- Th

A great resource; scholarly articles:

http://www.concertina.com/

The parent site to this net:

http://www.concertina.net/

Lots of good information:

http://www.concertina.info/

This net is the best place for information. What part of the world do you live? What kind of music do you like? Do you play music, or have a backround in another instrument, or are you like me; beginner in both?? Not personal questions, just so the experts can direct. You're right! It's fun to play even for my own amusement.

Thanks

Leo

Hi!

Reasonable questions. I play sax & a few others less so. Was reasonable once upon a time. I play harmonica (chromatic & diatonic) - mostly blues and fooling around. I'm only so-so on it.

For the concertina ...I tend I tend to like irish music. I have some interest in civil war music. I can read music still. Not perfect - but still reasonable. It is EXTREMELY unlikely that anyone would ever hear me play but me (and my tolerant family). This is just for fun. If that helps - great!

Thanks!

- Th

Hi!

Reasonable questions. I play sax & a few others less so. Was reasonable once upon a time. I play harmonica (chromatic & diatonic) - mostly blues and fooling around. I'm only so-so on it.

For the concertina ...I tend I tend to like irish music. I have some interest in civil war music. I can read music still. Not perfect - but still reasonable. It is EXTREMELY unlikely that anyone would ever hear me play but me (and my tolerant family). This is just for fun. If that helps - great!

Thanks!

- Th

There ar two predominant types of instrument: Anglo, and English. The Anglo plays similar to a harmonica. Different notes on the push and pull. The English; same note push and pull. I tried a harmonica when I was younger and got lost in the different notes (kept mixing them up). Therefore for me an English was the suggestion, and I haven't regretted it. With a familiarity of harmonica you may find an advantage with an Anglo. By the way "Battle Cry of Freedom" sounds awesome on a concertina. Haven't quite figgured out "Bonnie Blue/White Flag" yet but it's coming.

Thanks

Leo

Edited by Leo

I had a concertina as a boy. Now that I'm an adult, I was thinking it might be fun to play again.

What kind did you play as a boy? Most likely a cheap anglo, but maybe you were lucky enough to have something else? (If you're not sure what I mean, check out the Concertina FAQ. It describes the different general types.) I would guess that you're looking for something similar, but once you've done a little reading, you should be able to tell us.

I play a lot of Irish and American tunes myself and play a G/D Anglo. You could of course play the tunes equally as well on an English or Duet, but the G/D Anglo was a compromise for playing both styles and with my wallet :) One thing with the Anglo is that it is very similar to harmonica when it comes to the notes. Its like 2 harmonicas duct-taped together with an extra row of accidentals on the 30+ button Anglo's.

If you like early American style tunes, check out Jody Kruskal's recordings. His "Naked Concertina" CD has Contra-dance tunes that fit this catergory. Sorta has an American, French, Canadian, Old-Timey thing.

-jeff

Edited by jlfinkels

What kind did you play as a boy? Most likely a cheap anglo, but maybe you were lucky enough to have something else? (If you're not sure what I mean, check out the Concertina FAQ. It describes the different general types.) I would guess that you're looking for something similar, but once you've done a little reading, you should be able to tell us.

Hi -

I had a cheap 20 button Italian Anglo (I think).

My first question is - what's the right configuration? How many buttons? Anglo - I assume.

- Thinker

Hi -

I had a cheap 20 button Italian Anglo (I think).

My first question is - what's the right configuration? How many buttons? Anglo - I assume.

- Thinker

For an Anglo at least 30 buttons would be best. I can't comment on English or Duet.

-jeff

Hi!

Thanks!

- Th

Well mind you, for Irish Music, it is generally considered better to learn the concertina by ear, not from notes. Its a pain.. but often you will learn alot more about a tune that way (Irish Music is rarely played exactly like it is scored).

I wouldn't rule out playing in front of others. I am not saying you should start a band, but playing in sessions can be great fun, and I find it has really improved my playing. In fact, I can usually tell when I play with someone who rarely plays with others. Oh right, and you can make alot of friends playing in sessions.

As for instruments... well, that depends. Considering your interest in Irish Music and the fact that you play harmonica, I would say that it sounds like the C/G Anglo Concertina is the instrument for you. I know this position is controversial, but Irish Concertina Music evolved on the C/G anglo and it makes the most sense to play it on one. Yes you can play Irish Music on an English or a G/D anglo but in both cases, you are looking at fewer learning resources available (Which may or may not be an issue for you).

--

Bill

Hi!

Thanks!

- Th

Well mind you, for Irish Music, it is generally considered better to learn the concertina by ear, not from notes. Its a pain.. but often you will learn alot more about a tune that way (Irish Music is rarely played exactly like it is scored).

Bill

Don't discount scores even in Irish music. It certainly can help if you are comfortable with notation. Sites like the Session have versions of many tunes available. While a goodly number are wildly over ornamented, they can be a good road map and combined with learning by ear a great resource. My experience is that there are many variations of tunes.

Most of the music from the Civil War period was scored and in the case of period scores there are a few surprises.

We recently did a program on the Music of the Civil War with some reinactors. Major fun. "The Battle Hymn of the Republic" was first performed in a Congregational Church a good stones throw from our school. We asked to copy their score from the period. To our delight there were some suprises in the choral parts as well as the accompaniment. It was nice to reproduce what was written there and watch the audience react as they got what was not expected.

As to Civil War concertinas; Anglo 20 or maybe a 30 button, even the odd English could have been around and that's all the justification I need to use the English (I admit it's a streach...but it could have ;) maybe). Stephen Foster wrote in some funky keys for most diatonic box players but great keys for the voice.

Edited by Mark Evans

As for instruments... well, that depends. Considering your interest in Irish Music and the fact that you play harmonica, I would say that it sounds like the C/G Anglo Concertina is the instrument for you. I know this position is controversial, but Irish Concertina Music evolved on the C/G anglo and it makes the most sense to play it on one. Yes you can play Irish Music on an English or a G/D anglo but in both cases, you are looking at fewer learning resources available (Which may or may not be an issue for you).

--

Bill

Hmmm. So is a C/G Anglo the right choice? Makes a good deal of sense. My earlier box had 20 buttons. Here's where I get confused. As was suggested a few posts back - should I get a 30 button Anglo? What determines which one to get?

Thanks!!

- Th

PS: I really appreciate all the feedback.

[snip]

Bill makes a very good point here, one I've learned through experience. While I love my G/D, I've found that going to workshops is very difficult as I'm usually the only G/D. Some workshop teachers are willing to work with you, but when the classes are full they can't always give the time needed for a differently keyed instrument.

So, if you plan on attending workshops or taking lessons, you should listen to Bill and get a C/G. If you don't mind learning on your own or with minimal guidance, a G/D may be the right one for you.

-jeff

--

Bill

Hmmm. So is a C/G Anglo the right choice? Makes a good deal of sense. My earlier box had 20 buttons. Here's where I get confused. As was suggested a few posts back - should I get a 30 button Anglo? What determines which one to get?

Thanks!!

- T

PS: I really appreciate all the feedback.

For a C/G anglo, you don't necessarily need 30 buttons, but you need more than 20 buttons. The biggest thing missing on a 20 button is the C# which is kind of essential in Irish Music :). As a result, several makers (Frank Edgley, Harold Herrington and now Bob Tedrow) make 24 button instruments that appear to have orriginally been inspired by the 24 button instrument that Jackie McCarthy plays. In any case, these 24 button and vintage 26 and 28 button instruments are all well suited to Irish Music. The only time you will find less than 30 limiting in Irish Music is if you want to do song accompaniement.. but then again, you might find it limiting on a 30 button Anglo as well.

BTW, in the instrument construction section Bob Tedrow has a picture of his latest 24 button concertina. He is experimenting with fretless ends right now, so don't be too shocked if it looks somewhat different :).

Hope that helps.

--

Bill