Seeking Irish/anglo Teacher Near Boston

Nathan

I just bought a Stagi 30-key C/G Anglo, and am working my way through "The Anglo Concertina Demystified". It's going well so far, but eventually I'm going to want some more hands-on instruction. Can anyone recommend a teacher in my area?

Ideally I'm looking for someone who teaches the Irish style, as that's what I'll be playing (I already play the Irish flute, and learning a new instrument is enough of a project without taking on a whole new repertoire as well). I live in Belmont (west of Cambridge), so Boston and points west/north are the most accessible to me.

Nathan: I live in Boston, have played the concertina for 2 1/2 years, and do not know of a teacher in the area. Instead, I have found good instruction at Irish Arts Week in East Durham (week of July 10) and also at the Noel Class in East Durham. It is in August this year. Both Irish Arts and Noel Hill have webistes. The location is convenient as the Catskills are only 4 hours driving from Boston. Edel Fox is back for Irish Arts and is excellent in teaching the basic couse. Of course, Irish Arts and Noel Hill require a week off from whatever else you do so they may not be an option for you.

In Boston itself I find the slow session at the Green Briar in Brighton to be helpful on Monday night, especially at the start when the pace is slower (at 7pm). There are two of us concertina learners who are regularly there at the start. If you come you should seek us out.

Other possibilities are the slow session that is held for two hours before the Comhaltas dances on the first and fourth Sunday of the month in Watertown, but they won't restart till September. Larry Reynolds even sits with us from time to time. He is a fidler, a local legend and was Comhaltas musician of the year a couple of years ago. He is a great guy who will play at your tempo.

Also Comhaltas runs Saturday school at Harvard in the Fall and BC in the Spring. There was no concertina class last year, but lots of flutes, harps, fiddles, etc. I sat in with the button accordian class (approximately 6 people) and found it useful. Mike Reynolds kept us on our toes with lots of reels and an enthusiastic style.

Tim O'Connor is one of the leaders of the school, and told me that he is lining up a concertina teacher (from Maine) for next year but needs several students to sign up to make it happen. You can reach Tim through the Boston Comhaltas web site under the heading for the music school. Good Luck, and let us know what you do. Alan

Thanks for the info, Allan.

I knew about the Green Briar and pre-dance slow sessions but had forgotten about them -- thanks for reminding me. I normally avoid the Briar since it's so crowded, but I might check out the slow session again once I've got a few tunes under my belt.

I'm glad the hear the Comhaltas music school is lining up a concertina teacher. I've taken their flute class and it was a good experience, so I'll definitely get in touch with Tim O'Connor and let him know I'm interested.

Thanks again, and maybe I'll see you around.

Thanks for the info, Allan.

I knew about the Green Briar and pre-dance slow sessions but had forgotten about them -- thanks for reminding me. I normally avoid the Briar since it's so crowded, but I might check out the slow session again once I've got a few tunes under my belt.

I'm glad the hear the Comhaltas music school is lining up a concertina teacher. I've taken their flute class and it was a good experience, so I'll definitely get in touch with Tim O'Connor and let him know I'm interested.

Thanks again, and maybe I'll see you around.

If you locate that teacher, I'll join as a student. I'm going to the Noel Hill camp in August. Hopefully it will provide the big step from fooling around with the various lesson books to better understanding. That said, experience has taught me that I do better when there's a teacher or class that I can get to every week or two.

Hopefully there'a teacher around who would start up if there are enough students.

Mark

If you locate that teacher, I'll join as a student. I'm going to the Noel Hill camp in August. Hopefully it will provide the big step from fooling around with the various lesson books to better understanding. That said, experience has taught me that I do better when there's a teacher or class that I can get to every week or two.

I emailed Tim O'Connell about the CCE music school -- he's promised to keep me posted on the concertina class. You might want to do the same. I imagine the more people who are interested, the better the chance of it actually happening. His email address is toconnell@irishabroad.com.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd like to introduce myself. It looks like I'm going to be instructing the CCE concertina class when it finally gets going. My name is Chris Stevens, I am originally from York, Maine and have been playing Concertina and B/C Button Accordion for 9 years, during which time I've been a host at sessions from Boston to Portland. I play regularly at festivals throughout New England, and competed in the 2000 Fleadh Cheoil na hÉireann in Enniscorthy, Wexford. I currently reside in Lowell, where I am studying Music Business at the University of Massachusetts. Look forward to meeting you all eventually.

i've also been scouring boston for a teacher, so i'm really glad to see this. i just e-mailed tim -- cross fingers they'll bring us someone! but if no one appears, maybe we should just get together ourselves.

Chris:

This is great news. I haven't linked up with CCE in the past, but will now. You're program is not listed on the web site yet, but I gather all classes are on Sat. mornings. Personally, I'd lobby for the earlier in the day the better.

For others who may be interested, here's the link to the CCE Music School Site.

CCE Boston Music School

Mark M

I talked to Tim O'Connell yesterday and he said he's only received three commitments for students. He needs a few more to get the class going. If you are anyone you know is interested in taking it, e-mail him at toconnell99@yahoo.com.