Raised Ends

for anyone who has raised ends ...or has played them if i have big hands will it be harder or easier to play..??? if i get a raised end concertina????

I personally have found that instruments with raised ends seem to be more comfortable to play, though I haven't been able to pin down what makes them that way. But I don't think my hands are larger than average, and I don't know whether hand size is a factor in that.

If there really is a difference, I think it's small and subtle. You don't say whether you play anglo, English, or duet. If it's an instrument with a hand bar and strap (i.e., not an English), then I think that factors like the height of the bar and its distance from the buttons would be more significant than raised ends. Maybe the size of the buttons, as well.

I've one of each and big hands and i'm not aware of a noticeable difference, although I agree, intuitively, flat should be better. My raised metal end job is in need of an overhaul so it's not a straight comparison for me but in my opinion the big thing about the raised end W's is their beautiful silvery tone; my wooden ended 'flat' W. is a much more strident thing, contrary to general expectations. I put that down to better reeds rather than the shape itself, incidentally. (Colin Dipper comment recently: "These things are just as good as the aeolas")