Help, Beginner Concertina Advice Needed!

nuc

Basic question, but i cant find the proper information. How do you hold a concertina properly, and how do you place position your fingers for playing the keys? where does the thumb go? I have a 20 key anglo. Thanks so much. Then i ll be set to play!!

Your four fingers go through the hand strap and the thumb remains outside it. I use my thumb to adjust the tension of the hand strap around my fingers (by pressing on the strap or releasing it) to help me control the instrument, or use it to press the air button (usually on the right hand end). I hope this helps.

Samantha

what about fingering, the fours fingers just move in any position to reach the notes on all rows of buttons? or the four fingers remain or top row of buttons for that key?? thanks

Basic question, but i cant find the proper information. How do you hold a concertina properly, and how do you place position your fingers for playing the keys? where does the thumb go? I have a 20 key anglo. Thanks so much. Then i ll be set to play!!

I play a 20-button G/D Anglo and use a modified "home key" method I read about in Bertram Levy's "Anglo Concertina Demystified". The four fingers left side go on the bottom row buttons 2-5 (counting from the bottom) and right side go on the top row buttons 1-4 (counting from the top). I find this leaves me more possibilities for cross-fingering. My right thumb goes on the air button and the left thumb is kept above the end to avoid adding strain to the fingers.

Have fun!

-jeff

Edited by jlfinkels