Midwest Squeeze In

Helen

Hi all. Good luck with your squeeze in. While you work out all the details you might want to consider this midwest gathering that is already up and running:

http://www.farmfolk.org/

Just click on "gathering". From the home page photo they seem to be concertina friendly. Of course this wouldn't be a "squeeze in" , but I doubt if less than half a dozen concertina players showed up they would mind. But you could contact them if there is a question.

I haven't been here at concertina.net for awhile. Some of you might remember I had some finger problems and gave up concertina. My fingers are better now, thanks mainly to also giving up the mandolin. I have been playing nylon strung guitar and my hands feel fine. But I do admit I keep missing my concertina (but not the mando). I know I can play well with the three large fingers of each hand, it's the darn pinkys that give me trouble. I keep thinking there must be some sort of layout possible that would allow me to play without the pinkys. Especially the left one. That low F# was always a problem! Too many years of stretching for mando chords has ruined my left little finger. I have been toying with the idea of a G/C anglo using three short rows instead of two long ones. (I tried shifting, it didn't work out.)

I'll keep an eye on this spot. I'm near St. Louis. Even if I don't bring a concertina it would be fun to come hear you all play. Maybe even strum a few chords in the background. We have a camper and try to hit a few festivals each year. Great fun even if you just listen.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rex,

Thanks for your response. We had to skuttle our attempt for this year as we did not get many responses. But Rhomylly and I will check out the Noell Hill camp and see if people might like to do a SI there next year, no real takers for this year.

I tried to get a registration form for your Farmfest so I could get mapquest to give me how far away it is. Form page not there.

Have fun.

I spent hours blissfully bouncing around to different links. Lots of nice stuff in Michigan.

Helen