Optimum Number Of Bellows Folds?

I have to say that I find 5 fold bellows on an english a problem, in that you have to change dirrection during a bar rather than after (between) them. This must be the same for duets. Just like singing, taking a breath during a phrase breaks it up. You need enough air to get to the end of the line!

I am useless on the anglo but when I have played around on them I have found that some tunes require more pull than push, or vice versa, leading to the use of the air button. 6 or 7 fold bellows seem to me to be the minimum requirement (though I have to say again that my anglo playing is basic to say the least!).

Chris

it would depend on the music. to me, it doesnt sound like a problem to change in the middle of a measure. but i play irish music, on the anglo. i also play the flute. so if i were to play english, i would be very inclined to change direction everywhere but at the end of a phrase, because of my flute playing.

who here plays irish music on an english, and when do you change directions?

I do! With a very good flute player who is always banging on about 'legato'. I tend to change direction at the end of a phrase to make the flow 'smoother', but that may well say more about my technique than about the music!

Chris