Reading With Anglo

If I was in the room with them, I might show them two or three different ways I might use to play a G scale - it is worth learning more than one and varying their useage.

I read dots by singing them to myself and then play what I hear in my head. If you can do that, transposition becomes less of a problem. Granted, you do need to be able to read music first.

I would love to see some chords, counter melodies or bass runs written down in conventional notation.

Well, when I made my simple arrangement of "Whistling Rufus" for Anglo, I did it on a sheet music program, so I can post my Whistling Rufus sheet music. No button numbers, but no surprises there, I think -- if anything is confusing, just ask. Of course the exact rhythm and "bounce" aren't notated, and I'll generally make a few variations whenever I play it. Here's my own audio rendition of Whistling Rufus (as on Henk's Recorded Tunes Link Page). Oh, and I play the first part once through (use the first ending) after the second part and before the third (that's in the original 1899 sheet music too).

Thank you very much for the music for Whistling Rufus. I enjoyed reading your posts and following your progress as you learned this tune. Now I know this isn't strictly a concertina question, but I'm having a problem trying to print out your music. The computer is printing out about half of the music, about 5 bars of each line. Do you know how to reduce the size before printing out so that it fits on a page? I'm afraid I'm a bit of a Luddite as far as computers are concerned. Thanks for your help.

By the way, thanks for your comments and recordings of your Geuns-Wakker. I have just come into possesion of a similar insrument ( thanks Henk!) and I think it is wonderful. Unfortunately I have to work, eat, sleep etc. otherwise I could play it all day.

Thank you very much for the music for Whistling Rufus. I enjoyed reading your posts and following your progress as you learned this tune. Now I know this isn't strictly a concertina question, but I'm having a problem trying to print out your music.

You're welcome! It will fit on a page if set to 150 DPI. Most printing programs will scale it to fit a page automatically, although some default to 72 DPI. If you're running Windows, try right-clicking on the file, choose "Preview," then click on the printer icon and it should fit it on the page for you automatically.

By the way, I mainly use sheet music as a memory aid. I'm terrible at remembering things quickly, I have to really drill them to memorize them. So I don't "read" off the sheet music, but I use it as an occasional reminder until I can get rid of it (as soon as possible).

Another by the way, I updated my recording a few days ago (same link), it's a bit smoother and I used less edits this time.

Klaus: "Waschleinensystem" because all the notes were on one line giving only the duration, the note itselve was indicated by a number.

Nils

Now that sounds like the beginnings of a promising tab system for anglo. Assuming that note lengths are shown using "traditional" notation, then it is only one more step to reading traditionally notated music ...

Samantha

Nils' post refers to a notation system used by concertina clubs in Germany between the wars (click on the little pink arrow at the top of Nils' post to take you there.)

Samantha

PS And I've used the +QUOTE button correctly for the first time - Hurrah!

We went round and round the loop many times in the past regarding anglo tab and decided that anglo tab was not a good idea but some method of indicating which button to use is useful for people playing more than 20 key boxes where alternative buttons are available. This was intended only to be used sparingly.

After a very intensive week with Noel Hill, the only things I needed to mark on the dots were ornaments, bellows direction where unusual and occasional fingering where not obvious. I also had to scribble a comment when less-used buttons in the corners of the box were used. This was the bit where tab might be useful, but if you don't know where the button is, that might be a good tune to practise so you remember where it is.

We went round and round the loop many times in the past regarding anglo tab and decided that anglo tab was not a good idea but some method of indicating which button to use is useful for people playing more than 20 key boxes where alternative buttons are available. This was intended only to be used sparingly.

After a very intensive week with Noel Hill, the only things I needed to mark on the dots were ornaments, bellows direction where unusual and occasional fingering where not obvious. I also had to scribble a comment when less-used buttons in the corners of the box were used. This was the bit where tab might be useful, but if you don't know where the button is, that might be a good tune to practise so you remember where it is.

I'm more a fan of the usual musical notation myself, simply thought this might be a useful "halfway house" for some people ...

Samantha