Victorian Concertina By Campbells Of Glasgow

David Helmore

Hi!

I've just been given an old concertina to fix and was wondering if anyone could give me more details about the maker? The instrument is a 30 key anglo chromatic made by Campbells 'Improved Concertina', 103 Trongate, Glasgow. The bellows are 6 fold and the serial number is 26910. I've found little about the company other than a brochure from 1890 (http://www.concertina.com/eydmann/campbells-catalogue-1890.pdf) and I think the model is the 'Imperial'. I think the instrument could have been made by George Jones from some other info I found out, but I'm not sure! Can anyone help?!

Hi DJPH72,

Lachenal and Jones made instruments for Campbells. I have a 26b with the Campbells label that was probably made by Nickolds. Pictures of your instrument would be very helpful in determining the maker.

In the case of my 26b identification of the maker was made by taking an endplate off and looking at the action mechanism.

Give us some pictures and we will try and help.

Greg

Thanks for the pictures, Dave.

The riveted action, larger buttons and post for the palm rest screw are consistent with the Jones I've seen. The fretwork is something isn't it? I haven't seen a Jones exactly like this, but there are more experienced hands (and eyes) out there that might comment.

Brass or steel reeds?

Are you up for the restoration task?! An instrument like this deserves to be done up right.

Best of luck,

Greg

Thanks for the pictures, Dave.

The riveted action, larger buttons and post for the palm rest screw are consistent with the Jones I've seen. The fretwork is something isn't it? I haven't seen a Jones exactly like this, but there are more experienced hands (and eyes) out there that might comment.

Brass or steel reeds?

Are you up for the restoration task?! An instrument like this deserves to be done up right.

Best of luck,

Greg

Hi!

Its got steel reeds. I restored a lachenal english a couple of years ago with the help of Dave Elliots book! I've already done most of the work on the bellows and repaired the majority of the cracks in the fretwork, but I will have to send it off to get some of the more tricky points looked at (including tuning/missing reeds and slightly warped end sections!

The instrument belonged to my friends Grandfather (although he didn't play). I would like to give him a fair price for the instrument bearing in mind the amount of work I have already undertaken myself and the work I will have to pay someone else to do - but that is so tricky when I have found out little about the age and the maker!