Double Newbee - Thank You!

As I read it Jim was differentiating between accordian teachers who don't actually play concertina (as raised earlier in the thread), and those who do play concertina, (which you refereed to).

Indeed.

And the original question seems to reflect an attitude/assumption that constantly worries me: that because concertinas and accordions both have bellows, they must be similar enough in every other respect that anybody who is good at the one is automatically good (at playing... or repairing) the other. A glance at the two "squeezebox" keyboards should make it clear that they're vastly different, even if one doesn't notice the "subtlety" that manipulation of the bellows is done quite differently. And that's assuming a piano accordion vs. an English concertina; what if the concertina were an anglo?

Would you expect a violin teacher (not known to play any other instrument) to also be good at teaching the banjo? They both have strings. Both an 18-wheeler and a motorcyle have wheels, and I'm sure some long-distance truckers are also great motorcyclists, but not because they're truckers.

Yes, you are right. In 1974 Topic Records issued an LP as a companion to Alistair Anderson's "Concertina Workshop" book. It has not been re-issued on CD.

This LP (which you can still find on e-bay from time to time) is not a step-by-step companion to the book. It includes all the tunes from the book, but they are all played at speed with full backing arrangements. And that makes it as enjoyable to listen to as any of AA's other recordings.

The book is a great place to start learning the English concertina; it's where I started, and I am sure many others did too.

Peter Dyson

Bellinham, WA

Having quickly looked through the thread I spot some different items here:

1) The need for getting some initial introduction to a slightly exotic instrument

2) The need for a training program learning to make music on it

3) The need (in the longer perspective) guidance to develop 'skill' using it

Concerning

1) better find someone who knows the instrument before.....

2) 'anyone' (not necessarily a concertina player) may do.... depending on other competence and 'any' concertina player may be a true disaster compared to

'any other' *competent musician AND teacher*

3) if the 'student' KNOWS exactly a desired idiom or style to COPY for playing a good representative for that likely is invaluable....if NOT better stay away from all

kinds of tuition..... or in despair try all available possibilities....

since there is no *knowledge* on 'how to play the concertina' ....you may just as

well get lost in the jungle...

Jim:"And the original question seems to reflect an attitude/assumption that constantly worries me: that because concertinas and accordions both have bellows, they must be similar enough in every other respect that anybody who is good at the one is automatically good (at playing... or repairing) the other."

Goran:Can't agree... I would rather say YES..'in principle'....

Jim:" A glance at the two "squeezebox" keyboards should make it clear that they're vastly different, even if one doesn't notice the "subtlety" that manipulation of the bellows is done quite differently. And that's assuming a piano accordion vs. an English concertina; what if the concertina were an anglo?"

Goran:Keyboards vary a lot more 'among concertinas' than 'among accordions'' so what?? Learning the keyboard mostly is the easy part is it not?...and pressing buttons as such mainly is the same procedure....

What do you mean "that manipulation of the bellows is done quite differently"..???

I'll watch for that LP on the English Concertina. Searching the net for "English Concertina" brought me to a page for someone who plays sea chanties and pub songs. http://www.riggy.com/ I am buying a CD of his to hear his English Concertina. Just the beginning, really. I'll be getting more from the sources listed here at Concertina.net.

Thanks!

Russell Hedges

"Aquarussell"