Where Can I Buy A New Concertina In Maryland

mcm

When and where did you play a Kensington? I believe you will find they do play better when you actually try one.

I haven't yet had the pleasure to try a Kensington. Are they really better than what have had a reputation for more than a century as the best of the best ever made? Not impossible, I suppose, but I'd want to try one myself before repeating such a claim. B)

OK, I haven't played every Jeffries out there, only a few, and they were nice enough for sure. It might be a good idea to keep in mind that the tone of a new concertina will not be as fully matured as an older box, which has had the avantage of a century's worth of mellowing, tuning, tinkering and the like. However, a good player should be able to break in the reeds on a new instrument within a few years, and the timbre is undeniably improved, albeit marginally, over time. It might be interesting to have played a brand new Jeffries long ago before such a settling period had smoothed out the tone, and before all of the mechanical problems had been dealt with. One of the nicest features of Kensington instruments is the mechanical engineering which has taken into account all of the bugaboos associated with older instruments, and the ingenious mechanisms which eliminate the construction flaws found in many of these venerated boxes. The progress of development during the course of human history is a fact. Who amongst us would prefer the best victorian doctor for our heart sugury to the average 21st century hospital, or a 1962 chevy to a 2006 volvo for taking our kids on vacation. There is an old german saying which translates to "The people are getting very clever". (We get smarter as a whole.) Naturally, exceptions to the rule exist, (i.e. Stradivarius) however, many new instruments have been produced which rival even these spectacular accomplishments, and they have not yet had the benefit of hundreds of years of maturation. So, though my opinion may be a bit extreme, it is only that - my opinion.

I did a test today ater reading this forum. I have a 26 button Bb/F jeffries that is one of the better Jeffries I've ever played. I once was offered a chance to trade +Cash for a 30 button one same vintage ( late 1800's) from Paul Groff. That instrument was in excellent condition ( original) and would have only cost me a couple thousand more in the late 90's, but after playing it, I decided istantly that mine played and sounded so much better that I'd rather stick with the 26 buttons. ( money wasn't an issue then, Lucky me ). Since then, I've played a lot of Jeffries and Dippers and Wheatstone Linotas, and have found few better than this one. ( Jack Zuraw above posting, has one of the few that I found as good and maybe better and has 30+ buttons ) Noel Hill did a bit of recording on this one.

So back to the test. I just finished three new concertinas. The reeds are green. ( haven't had time to smooth out, the bellows are a little stiff still, though very playable. The three concertinas are almost identical in tone and playing qualities. I played the same tunes on the Bb/f and these, all the same way with the same feel emotion etc. as best as I could. which isn't bad. this is how the treee instruments compared.

Tone quality: Jeffries, Clean, Reedy, lovely tone by itself, but high notes dissapear when played in a chord with the low notes. At higher volumes the chords sound very unbalanced.

Kensington (all) Tone mellower, clear not as reedy , hint of brass section. chords very even at high or low volumes. High notes clearly distinguishable in chords.

Responsiveness: Jeffries is very responsive throughout range from Low G ( remember it is a Bb/F ) upward to highest notes.

Kensington: as responsive or better in low notes. nearly equal in midrange and as good or better in higher notes.

Dynamic range: Jeffries: fairly good in mid range, dropping off after lowest A on the right hand side. Little dynamic range lower than Middle Bb on center row left hand.

Kensington: Large dynamic range from low C to Highest G. All notes maintain essentially the same range.

Playing feel: ( subjective sense of how hard you need to press or draw to play at a given level )

Jeffries: easy for low and medium levels, concertina maxes out early and will not play louder past a certain point. requires more effort to play at high volume.

Kensington: easy but not quiet as easy as the Jeffries, at low level, ramping up to slightly harder at high levels, but crosses over at mid volume with Jeffries and is as easy or easier to play at higher volumes than the Jeffries.

Overall impression: Jeffries: nice interesting tone does well with melodic music that does not include a lot of chords or drones or octave playing. Low end is relatively weak and both low and high end are fundamental poor. Chords espeically at louder levels sound fundamental poor and nasal.

Kensington: Less "distinctive" sound, but more "orchestral " in quality. More Linota like with more Brass ( french horn etc. ) than reedy sound. Strong low end matched by High end that is able to be heard over the low notes in chords. Balanced from Low to high, High end stronger, fuller, clearer, less toy like.

I used to have a fairly good C/G Jeffries I sold a while back because I never played it, always prefferring my old #005, (soon to go to a good home). I really don't care what people play, and as for myself, would gladly play sometihng other than a Kensington If I could find one I could buy that I liked better. But given that I like a wide dynamic range for expression, and the kind of sound Noel get's out of his exceptional Linotas, I simply haven't found anything available that Is any better than my current instruments. I know there are better ones out there. but none I've seen are for sale.

For other Maryland concertina makers check out Thomas Concertinas. <tomasconcertinas.com>

Dana

I have never personally set foot in either Andy's Front Hall or the Button Box)(yet)!

Rhomylly,

Alas, you'll not have the opportunity to set foot in Andy's Front Hall. Andy Spence has essentially retired, and all they're selling these days are the remnants of their inventory. A shame, really, as there doesn't seem to be anyone to take their place. I loved getting their catalogs and visiting with them at The Pipers' Gathering in Vermont and, of course, buying stuff!

I did a test today ater reading this forum. I have a 26 button Bb/F jeffries that is one of the better Jeffries I've ever played. I once was offered a chance to trade +Cash for a 30 button one same vintage ( late 1800's) from Paul Groff. That instrument was in excellent condition ( original) and would have only cost me a couple thousand more in the late 90's, but after playing it, I decided istantly that mine played and sounded so much better that I'd rather stick with the 26 buttons. ( money wasn't an issue then, Lucky me ). Since then, I've played a lot of Jeffries and Dippers and Wheatstone Linotas, and have found few better than this one. ( Jack Zuraw above posting, has one of the few that I found as good and maybe better and has 30+ buttons ) Noel Hill did a bit of recording on this one.

So back to the test. I just finished three new concertinas. The reeds are green. ( haven't had time to smooth out, the bellows are a little stiff still, though very playable. The three concertinas are almost identical in tone and playing qualities. I played the same tunes on the Bb/f and these, all the same way with the same feel emotion etc. as best as I could. which isn't bad. this is how the treee instruments compared.

Tone quality: Jeffries, Clean, Reedy, lovely tone by itself, but high notes dissapear when played in a chord with the low notes. At higher volumes the chords sound very unbalanced.

Kensington (all) Tone mellower, clear not as reedy , hint of brass section. chords very even at high or low volumes. High notes clearly distinguishable in chords.

Responsiveness: Jeffries is very responsive throughout range from Low G ( remember it is a Bb/F ) upward to highest notes.

Kensington: as responsive or better in low notes. nearly equal in midrange and as good or better in higher notes.

Dynamic range: Jeffries: fairly good in mid range, dropping off after lowest A on the right hand side. Little dynamic range lower than Middle Bb on center row left hand.

Kensington: Large dynamic range from low C to Highest G. All notes maintain essentially the same range.

Playing feel: ( subjective sense of how hard you need to press or draw to play at a given level )

Jeffries: easy for low and medium levels, concertina maxes out early and will not play louder past a certain point. requires more effort to play at high volume.

Kensington: easy but not quiet as easy as the Jeffries, at low level, ramping up to slightly harder at high levels, but crosses over at mid volume with Jeffries and is as easy or easier to play at higher volumes than the Jeffries.

Overall impression: Jeffries: nice interesting tone does well with melodic music that does not include a lot of chords or drones or octave playing. Low end is relatively weak and both low and high end are fundamental poor. Chords espeically at louder levels sound fundamental poor and nasal.

Kensington: Less "distinctive" sound, but more "orchestral " in quality. More Linota like with more Brass ( french horn etc. ) than reedy sound. Strong low end matched by High end that is able to be heard over the low notes in chords. Balanced from Low to high, High end stronger, fuller, clearer, less toy like.

I used to have a fairly good C/G Jeffries I sold a while back because I never played it, always prefferring my old #005, (soon to go to a good home). I really don't care what people play, and as for myself, would gladly play sometihng other than a Kensington If I could find one I could buy that I liked better. But given that I like a wide dynamic range for expression, and the kind of sound Noel get's out of his exceptional Linotas, I simply haven't found anything available that Is any better than my current instruments. I know there are better ones out there. but none I've seen are for sale.

For other Maryland concertina makers check out Thomas Concertinas. <tomasconcertinas.com>

Dana

Dana:

Fine post. For a beginner like me, who is interested in the details of concertina mechanics and mechanical performance, as well as the music, that's one of the most information descriptions I've seen.

Thanks

Mark