Custom Fees

m3838

If you are buying it from a business and it's insured, etc. it's best to declare it. You'll need the HTS number (harmonized tariff schedule). For a concertina I would use this one: The category is

9204.10.80.00 Accordions and similar instruments: other

I think the duty rate is 2.6% from UK but I've never imported from there, that's the rate listed in the column though for this type of instrument. If it's from a friend and low declared value you may not get charged but don't count on it. I don't know if there are discounts for used items (as in Canada) or not, you'll have to check or just play it by ear. Not too bad of a rate really. I looked through a few of the trade agreements but don't see where there is one with UK that would let you get by without paying duty, if someone else knows different then please let me know?

All the info you need on the HTS is here: http://www.usitc.gov/tata/hts/bychapter/2005_supp.htm

Regards,

Lars

Hello!

Check the harmonized tariff schedule, and make sure the proper number is given to the shipper, so he can list it on the export forms. If the instrument is 100 years old or older, copy over any web information to that effect, and include it with the instrument. It can then be sent as an antique, and as such is free of customs duty!

By the way - for all concerned - it is worthwhile downloading the hamonized tariff schedules and having them ready whenever something is shipped from overseas. I've caught Fed-ex and UPS several times making up numbers for expediency, and charging me much higher tariffs than necessary. In one recent case - they listed a camera lens as a fiber optics bundle, and charged me over 6% on an item that should have passed for under 3%. Best - Ed

Ed, that's a great point. They used to charge me duty also when I'd import from India despite the fact that there is no duty on the items I used to get! They are terribly uninformed I think and can cost you a lot!

Lars

So If I'm getting a concertina from Ebay, it's not from a business and duty free?

And if a seller dosn't indicate that it's from a business, it's duty free too?

The antique idea is a good one.

I bought used accordions from sellers in New Zealand and from Holland and didn't pay duty. When I recieved my Castagnari new from Italy, I paid 2.6% and it was hefty amount of money.

Thanks.

Piano accordions are FREE!

May be declare that this is a small antique piano accordion? It'll do.

Here is Australia goods under $1000 carry no duty. For goods over $1000 it gets complicated. The example given on the Australian Customs webpage shows that an item worth AUD$2000 would be charged a duty of AUD$325.00!

So If I'm getting a concertina from Ebay, it's not from a business and duty free?

And if a seller dosn't indicate that it's from a business, it's duty free too?

No. Not at all. There is no difference in tariff between private transactions and those conducted with registered businesses.

The antique idea is a good one.

If you're going to claim "antique" status, you'd better be able to document it. And the official definition is more than 100 years old. Just very old -- e.g., 80 years -- won't do. If you claim that it's antique and they can prove that it's not, you may have to pay a penalty for attempted smuggling.

Be aware also that different shippers have different rules for insuring these things. I've had FedEx tell me at different times 1) they won't insure antiques, and 2) they won't insure any musical instruments. DHL seems to care only what the insured value is, though even there the cost depended on who I talked to.

I bought used accordions from sellers in New Zealand and from Holland and didn't pay duty.

Sounds to me like a mistake, not something you can count on.