Thinking about getting McNeela Phoenix - any opinions?

Howdy. I played guitar all my life but I can see the end of the road on that instrument - my hands are not working with same ease anymore - old age is slowly creeping in. I am considering other instruments - I play a bit of harmonica and the I like the sound of reed instruments so I thought about getting Anglo concertina.
Couple questions.
How demanding on your hands the instrument really is?
Is Phoenix by McNeela a good choice?
TIA for any pointers/info.

Edited by Woland
misspelled name

• Woland changed the title to Thinking about getting McNeela Phoenix - any opinions?

I got a Phoenix 3 years ago, after quickly outgrowing some cheaper instruments. What a wonderful purchase! It being during the pandemic, my options to see & try concertinas were Iimited, so I’m very grateful I could get a Phoenix easily, smoothly & quickly online, & McNeela was a wonderful company to do business with. I had become bored with being just another mediocre guitarist, & this concertina has really captured my imagination & enthusiasm. I’ve played it relentlessly 3 years & only had one small repair. The person who repaired it praised the quality, especially since he had several times repaired my first concertina which he was NOT impressed with!

My hands don’t bother me, so I can’t comment on that aspect. Probably like guitar, you can play concertina at whatever level you can manage -  it is versatile & blends nicely with other instruments, in a variety of capacities…very fun for jams.

That has been my extremely positive experience with the instrument, as well as buying from McNeela. I commend you for considering starting with a Phoenix & skipping the beginner machines available -  it will make your learning much more rewarding. Besides, it would be easy to resell.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 3/16/2024 at 4:02 PM, Sunny22 said:

That has been my extremely positive experience with the instrument, as well as buying from McNeela. I commend you for considering starting with a Phoenix & skipping the beginner machines available -  it will make your learning much more rewarding. Besides, it would be easy to resell.

Thanks a lot - all good info. On that last point - I have been playing various instruments all my life and conclusion was always the same  - you outgrow the very basic model fast and then it is a frustration, attempts to sell it etc. So on beginners intrument it makes sense to buy used with some ability to check it. But market for concertinas is not huge - either way - like e.g. for cheap bass guitar. So buy better quality new and then keeping it for few years until it starts slowing you down was always my way.  With guitar it would different - market is big and I know exactly how to judge used guitar - so I did not buy new guitar in decades. 
I am still on the cusp - not sure if I want concertina or button accordion - the price is about the same but I was told accordion is a bit easier on hands - and prices for midrange accordion at McNeela and Phoenix are comparable. Main argument for concertina is compacthess - seems like a better instrument to travel with than button accordion. 

Edit: Friend of mine let me borrowed his cheap piano accordion - so now I have some ability to get familiar with the ergonomics of the instrument. I wanted to play flute long time ago and I borrowed one and it turned out I could not play it without instant shoulder pain so that was it. Don't expect that with accordion but want to learn few simple tunes and see if there is "need to play is as much as possible" feel I usually get from guitar. 

Edited by Woland