Tips for getting the most out of Virtual Music lessons

I scheduled a lesson with a concertina teacher though TakeLessons and I have never received tutoring before, so I don't know what to expect. Does anyone have any suggestions and things I can do ahead of time to get the most out the lesson and future lessons. I have been self-taught since I started learning concertina 4 months ago and figure getting mentorship will increase my growth as a musician. 

Here's my 'brain dump' after having virtual lessons on both melodeon and anglo concertina in recent years, after being self-taught over many decades.

Firstly, be familiar with the technology you'll be using - Zoom, Skype, etc,. Set it up some time before your lesson, and make sure it works!! Importantly, check camera position e.g. will the teacher be able to see your hands (more important than your smile!!)?

Remember, the lesson is for your benefit! A good teacher will ask you what you want to achieve from the lessons, what is your goal?

As it is your first lesson, the teacher will almost certainly ask you to play something so that they can assess where you are on the learning curve. So prepare/practise a couple of favourite tunes that you are very comfortable with. They will also want to know about your musical background - can you read music? can you learn by ear? what type of music do you want to play? do you play other instruments? etc etc

Don't be afraid to ask questions and take plenty of notes. Some teachers will provide a summary after each lesson, others will let you record the lesson - ask.

The real hard work comes after the lesson when you need to practise and practise before the next one. 

All music teachers are different, with their own style and personality. Hopefully you will get on well with this teacher, but if you feel you are just not on the same musical wavelength, then find a new one! For example, a music teacher used to working with children will typically have a fixed learning path for them (perhaps via music exams), whereas a good music teacher working with adults should be a lot more flexible to the path an individual pupil wants to take.

Finally, enjoy it!!! It will not be as scary as you think :)

• Like 2