Advice on buying an Anglo

Hey Grumps, 

here’s my take, I’ve had a wren and a second hand Lachenal.

The wren is ugly, feels cheap and the reeds don’t sound the prettiest. However, the button layout is very nice, it functions well, the reeds sing easy with small amounts of air so you can manage the (plastic?) bellows with ease, no show piece but something that would be easy to learn on. 

The old Lachenal I have looks beautiful, especially with its old age patina, its reeds give a lovely tone. My only complaint with the Lachenal is I have old five fold bellows on it, it makes bellow management difficult with the playing style I’m after. 

I paid a bit more for the Lachenal than the wren, but long term I would keep the Lachenal and get rid of the wren. 

Edited by LuukSnijder
  • Like 1

Played for over 40 years.  I've gone through more Bastaris than I can count.  I got a midrange anglo that lasted many years (with a lot of help), but it finally was played out.  Bought a Phoenix.  In my opinion, it would be a great starter concertina.  It is head and shoulders above the Italian & German production models.  Good action, and, for the money, great sounding Reeds.

I would steer clear of the lower end models.

I've found that the quality of a concertina can greatly advance or hinder your ability to play.  It will be much easier to learn on a good concertina.  It's weakness will probably be in the longevity of the mechanics.  I've already noticed a little loosening in the action.  I suspect that it will need some tightening & tuning much sooner than a non-production, hand made, one at a time instrument.  But....if you're just starting, the Phoenix to me, would be a great buy to learn on.  If you buy the lower end you will soon be looking for a better box if you've fallen into the grips of concertina madness.  With a Phoenix you can probably fight the urge to upgrade for a longer period of time.