Write those Minuets..

SIMON GABRIELOW

I put an article on a sort of academic network recently, on a similar subject as this, about the, what could be considered, 'old style' musical forms like the 'minuet' or menuetto etc..  and how I thought they should still be written [as a means to an end in themselves].  I also pointed out that the folk tradition was one of those forms in which the older style was still often practiced.  By that, I do not mean necessarily writing in a period mode, or strictly adhering to absolute tradition, more as a type of dance like form which should be still made new or played for the need of doing, or dancing when it comes to it also.

I recently read about Telemann's 100 minuets, which he wrote, which I believe are based upon a symbolic number, and they are full of variety, and tuneful inventiveness.  With those tunes in mind, in particular, I decided to do some of my own [melodic line only] minuets, which give so much potential in writing in that form, whether in 3/4 or 3/8, 9/8, or other such equations to fit in.

I have to come to the conclusion that these older style forms can still be made and exploited in writing, for the new stuff.  I write them using my concertina, and if I then want to write a lower toned tune, with deeper range generally, then that wooden Chalumeau is very useful as a guide also. 

I do not know how many [minuets] I will write, but to date of this note, at present moment, I have written 37 and will go on with more; because it's still worth making new tunes or minuets, jigs, or songs, and to keep the musical forms going, now and for the future.

So - I say  -  keep writing those Minuets.

This incorporated video is the Minuet -  number 4 of my collection.  A slow quieter tune in 3/4 measure.[ Played solo]  -  I then made it into a duo for two instruments not long afterwards. It is called "Repose".