Middle C (Anglo) is just a little slow to speak

I have a relatively new Rochelle 2 Anglo concertina. Because I'm a beginner, there are things I'm only just noticing. I've mentioned the general stiffness of the bellows in another thread. I didn't notice at first, because my playing was so slow it just didn't matter. As I become slightly more experienced playing, I'm more aware of the slo-mo feeling when I change the bellows direction--especially after briefly trying a more upscale instrument. It occurs to me that I don't really know if what I'm calling "stiffness" is due to the mechanics of the bellows, or the flow of air through valves and across reeds. But this brings me to my point. One note in particular, middle C (right hand, push, first finger) feels like it's just a bit more sluggish than other notes. There's very little "attack," no matter how vigorously I push. It's as though the note is spoken with an 'f' consonant instead of a 't'.

Β 

What might cause this, and is it something I should try to fix myself? I'm a bit hesitant to do so, since I'm so new to this instrument. But I'm wondering if it could just be a spring that's too tight, or something like that. I've noticed something similar with the alt-G/A button on the left hand; it's just a bit slow. I only just started using this button, and one application of it is to trill/mordent on G, but when I try that particular ornament, it's just a little too sluggish to work. I can bring the concertina back to the shop, but then I'll have to leave it there for some time, and I'm as addicted to this thing as anyone else around here is.

Others will give you more technical support, only to say there will be various reasons to cause slow to speak notes. My own instrument had tendancy to be stubborn some times; fluffy notes sound, and indeed spring tension causes my G note to keep sounding off.. I do open it up myself, but try not to do it too often.

They have their character in a way ( like people).. slow, or fast, or tendancy to get windy😊.

I would say give it time to be used.. things could well free up in time.

I had mine two decades or more and you can still get niggles with them, there's a lot inside our concertinas that can alter or need adjusting..new or used or old.🌝

• Like 1