How Do I Clean Behind The Fretwork?

I have been given an English concertina, as it cost me nothing i thought id have a go at getting it to play.

I am in the process of attatching some bellows i got from Dave Leese. Everything seems to be ok so far (touch wood) but i cant' figure out how to clean behind the fretwork.

It's a wheatstone student model, seems to have a wooden back plate behind the fretwork, is it really glued in or am i imagining it? and if it is glued in how do i clean it?, as this concertina has been in a cupboard for 30 years unprotected and is filthy.

Gilly

It's a wheatstone student model, seems to have a wooden back plate behind the fretwork, is it really glued in or am i imagining it? and if it is glued in how do i clean it?, as this concertina has been in a cupboard for 30 years unprotected and is filthy.

Gilly,

It sounds like your Wheatstone probably has a "pine baffle" behind the fretwork, which implies that it is an early one and may have 150 years or more of dust & dirt on that piece of wood. It shouldn't be glued in, though it may be a little reluctant to just drop out after all that time.

Do you know the serial number of it ?

yeah! that sounds right. I have just had another look at it and im almost certain it is glued in. it's held away from the fretwork by felt pads but it's held fast by tiny little wooden blocks inside the end piece. The serial number is 6476. I will try to put some pic's on tomorrow.

Gilly