Help With Sibelius

Chris Timson

ICA member David Nind posted the following query on the ICA mailing list. With his agreement I am reposting it here to see if any of our boffins can help:-

One of my friends arranges music for concertina playing using a programme called Sibelius, which he then emails to me. I open them with a free reader programme called Scorch, which enables me to look at the music on screen and also listen to it through the PC speakers. What it does not allow is for me to make a print of the music.

I use another programme, called Mozart, to arrange music and send it on to others. They can open the files using a free reader programme called Mozart Viewer, look at them, listen to them, and print them.

What I would like to know is :-

a. Could anyone please tell me how to take a print from a Sibelius file using Scorch reader ?

b. Is there a way of converting Sibelius files into Mozart files ?

c. Or do I ask my friend to re-type all his work into Mozart ?

d. This is not an option -- to buy my own copy of Sibelius (£350.00)

a. Could anyone please tell me how to take a print from a Sibelius file using Scorch reader ?

/quote]

Chris -

are you using the scorch plugin for a web browser, (windows or Mac only) . The web site says you can play/transpose/change tempo/print from this (I'm sure that I've done this at home).

I'm just restarting my works computer in WinXP (uurrgh..) and will try it there ... yep it definately says you can print, and the print button on it seems functional.

So..check you have latest scorch plugin, and use your web brower to open the sibelius files

eg File... Open... Browse

Chris J

Edited by spindizzy

Chris J....yes I am using the plug in, but when it comes to printing a copy the printer symbol is covered by a red SCORCH label. I note that on the download instructions there is an asterisk next to Print, and an explanation that it is not available on all files.

:(

David

Chris J....yes I am using the plug in, but when it comes to printing a copy the printer symbol is covered by a red SCORCH label. I note that on the download instructions there is an asterisk next to Print, and an explanation that it is not available on all files.

:(

David

Odd!

Are the Sibelius files from a commercial site (I thought from the original query, they'd been written on someones computer at home.) Commercial ones may want you to pay for the music.

I wonder if there's something that can be set when creating the original Sibelius files. I have a friend at work with Sibelius (rather old version), maybe I can get him to create some files to see if I can print them.

(I use Noteworthy Composer - NWC - to write out scores - much cheaper :-) and there's a ABC2NWC program which is handy).

Chris

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I believe Mozart will import MIDI files.

Have your friend export his Sibelius files to MIDI, then read them into Mozart, and do to them what you need.

This is not always an exact method, but since it is being passed from one authoring program to another, the chances of success are greater.

The files I create or edit in Sibelius can be passed to Harmony Assistant and back with little problem, so it may work for Mozart.

Good Luck,

Bruce

• 1 month later...

One other option would be to ask your friend to export the arrangements from Sibelius as graphics files. You can save a score as a Windows bitmap (.bmp) file, and various other formats, one image per page, and these are then very straightforward to print. It takes literally seconds to export from Sibelius in this way... I know it's not necessarily an ideal solution but this is how I send out arrangements to the other members of my group by email, as neither of them uses any notation software at all.