Anglo and Duet systems.

Update:

Currently I’m having fun with the Anglo learning some soundtracks here and there and working my way through the “Anglo in harmonic style” book.

I feel that sometimes I don’t have enough air to play low passages of arrangements. Is that normal with low end concertinas?

I have fun but I’m also afraid that the limitations of Anglo might get to me when closing in on my goal of backing up singing and playing everything soundtrack.

do you guys know about good concertina sellers and traders in Germany or EU?

I am glad to know that you are having fun.

Air control is somthing you get stuck as a novice player. 

Almost all the tunes in the 'Harmonic Style" are playable even on starter instruments like McNeela Wren2 and CC Rochelle once you get hold of the air control on your insturment.

I do not know of any concertina sellers and traders in Germany, but Jürgen Suttner makes quality concertinas in Seigen, Deutchland. 

Suttner Concertinas – Hand Crafted Concertinas

• 2 weeks later...

I can understand your troubles as a fellow newbie who, instead, started with an Elise Hayden. I love the instrument and the system I'm just frustrated by the range but I think when you begin playing an instrument its important to get the gist of it before committing to a higher tier instrument.

Be patient and take your time.

In Italy we have Concertine Italia who make some interesting 40keys anglo or the Stagi Hayden Duet with 46 keys. In case you aim for an European maker.

cheers

• Thanks 1

On 6/26/2023 at 8:42 AM, BobBobsta said:

I mostly want to back up my singing  with the concertina. I come from Ukulele playing

You might find it difficult to beat the ukulele for accompanying singing with a concertina.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Kurt Braun said:

You might find it difficult to beat the ukulele for accompanying singing with a concertina.

Interesting point!

As a singer who has a whole collection of self-accompaniment instruments, I can see the sense in Kurt's statement. I personally use my ukulele only for song accompaniment, whereas I use my concertinas (chiefly Anglo and a bit of Crane) mainly for instrumental music, but also occasionally for song self-accompaniment.

Having said that, if I had never had the chance to learn ukulele, banjo, guitar or Autoharp, I would probably be known as "the guy who sings to his Anglo." However, as it is, I select the accompaniment instrument for a given song on the basis of the character of the song, the complexity of the required accompaniment, the cultural background ("ethnic" instruments) or just pure whim. Cheerful, 3-chord songs on the ukulele. Songs requiring an interesting bass line, Spanish guitar. Sea songs, Anglo. Folk-songs, often 5-string banjo. Specifically German folk-songs, Waldzither. Gospel songs, Autoharp. Of course, most songs can be accompanied on at least two different instruments, so the allocation of song to instrument is not cast in concrete.

I'm quite sure that you, @BobBobsta, will soon find yourself picking up either your uke or your Anglo, depending on the song requested! It's fun, and if you perform in public, swapping instruments makes for more variety. So keep your ukulele!

Cheers,

John

• Thanks 1