Wanted - Microvox M400 mics - Update - alternative found

AndyNT

I'm looking for one or two Microvox M400 mics to use with my Lachenal anglo . 

Perhaps you have some old Microvox kit gathering dust in a drawer? If so, please get in touch. Microvox have stopped trading so the mics are not available new.

I already use Microvox mics etc on my melodeon, and would prefer not to invest in brand new mic kit for my anglo at this stage.

If there's any other M400s out there once AndyNT has stocked up I'd be very interested. Preferably UK for postage reasons but any offers considered!

I'm going to have to move off of Microvox at some point now they've stopped trading, but can't get my head around that atm... 

• AndyNT changed the title to Wanted - Microvox M400 mics - Update - alternative found

The M400s never showed up, although other Microvox kit did (thanks Mike).

However after a recent chat with a knowledgeable friend, I now have a cheap and cheerful substitute which is easy to source.

Take two tieclip/lavalier mics with leads terminating in mini-jacks. Add two mini-jacks to RCA phono convertors.

Connect and plug in to your Microvox battery pack and it works!!

I've used small neodymium magnets to attach them to my Norman concertina (polished steel ends). 

Total cost for two 'concertina mics' was less than £25 plus postage.

These were the mics - https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-signal/mp33751/microphone-lavalier-black/dp/MP33751

These were the convertors - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/351577173108

Plenty of other sources available on the net.

The leads on the mics are not as robust as Microvox ones, but at that price.......

Hopefully others may find this useful

On 6/30/2023 at 7:08 PM, Steve Mansfield said:

Wow that's excellent advice @AndyNT, top work. Sorry I've not seen this sooner, life has been getting in the way of the important stuff ... 

I used the mics 'live' at a ceilidh on Saturday. They worked very well with minimal unwanted noise. They were positioned just above the hand rest, under the fingers, in a similar position to where Microvox recommended locating M400s.