Peacock XL

Datsen

I seem to be a bit behind the times, but I just re-read Wim's post about the release of the Troubadour, and I'm thrilled to hear him saying that there'll hopefully one day be a bigger Peacock.

I have the Peacock previously owned by Don Taylor, and it's possibly my favourite instrument of any kind that I've owned. It looks and sounds gorgeous, plays flawlessly, and I play it almost every day. But I do yearn for a bit more range; the left hand especially feels a bit cramped. You can play a lot of music in 3 octaves if you're creative, but I like to move different tunes up and down in pitch to give them a unique character: to be able to switch from bright and birdsong-ish to deep and church-organ-y at will.

I know I'm never going to have the money lying around for a W-2, and anyway I like the sound of accordion reeds -I'm just as influenced by melodeon and accordion players as concertina players. So I'm now be waiting patiently for news of the Peacock XL.

(Though, maybe we can find a more artful name than Peacock XL ;). It sounds like I'm buying a dirtbike, or a box of tissues)

Also the thing I meant to say was:

Hooray for Wim and the people at Concertina Connections, for building such lovely instruments and being committed to making high-quality concertinas on a production line. I think it fills an essential niche alongside beginner instruments, antiques, and handmade instruments, and means that more people can pursue the concertina as a serious instrument. Thank you!

Edited by Datsen
  • Like 2