Learning Phrasing and Fingering Using Traditional Tunes

Randy Stein

I was very fortunate to learn my playing techniques for the EC from Boris and Sergei Matueswitch. Boris had a plethora of music he arranged and transcribed for teaching proper phrasing (bellow control) and notation (note placement for proper and alternative fingering when playing single or complex note patterns and chords). Both men were extremely accomplished musicians and performers. Boris could play anything. I offer lessons to others hoping to teach their lessons and techniques.

Two of several questions I ask when someone wishes to study with me is what kind of music they like to play and what it is they wish to accomplish in taking lessons.  The majority play some genre of traditional music and almost all say they want to get better at playing the correct notes (knowing which button to push is usually what they answer). Both could be accomplished by attending sessions, then learning and practicing those tunes they hear. Our current pandemic limits the chances to do so. 

Quite a lot of traditional tunes can be challenging, as any trad player will tell you, and will increase fingering and bellow control. A traditional tune like this particular fiddle version of Speed the Plow  or the fiddle tune Reel de Levis offer notation requiring fingering on the outside and inside rows, scales and arpeggios and are especially challenging to a new and learning player. I often add in some double stops to teach simple chording. Of course you have to practice and learn the tune to become proficient. 

As an example, I've attached the notation for Speed the Plow  in the Key of A from the New England's Fiddlers Tune Book. I used Musescore to transcribe, with alternative fingering I recommend when playing. There are plenty of YouTube recordings to watch and learn from as well. SPEED THE PLOW.pdf

Onward...

• Thanks 1